Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I work two jobs using my car for transportation (delivery) one being a Pizza delivery driver the other a courier for a banks in Augusta Ga. I put a lot of miles on my car and with rising gas prices any way I can save helps a bunch. I found a 2000 or 2001 Insight locally with 64,000miles and he wants 9,500$ for the car. I don't know what the value is on these cars but price seems fair.

My main concern is this being a new "hybrid" and it not being reliable or costly when it does break. Pls can you let me know if theirs any flaws I should look for or things that should be brought to my attention before buying an Insight.

Joshua Dotson

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought my car used with 68k miles on it. My battery failed at 70k. I was lucky it happened before the warranty expired.

The one thing I can think of to make you aware of is that although the high mileage of the Insight would be ideal for someone like you who puts a lot of miles on your car, when they break down, sometimes the car is down longer than a "traditional" car. This could be a BIG DEAL for someone who makes their living with their car.

So far from my experience, it appears that Honda dealers do not stock any Insight parts, so everything has to be ordered. This is going to take at least a couple days. If it's not handy in a warehouse, then it might be a few weeks. My battery was obtained by my dealer in a few days, but it took over 2 weeks to get the 2 control modules to go with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do the batteries fail quiet often? As far as a dealership working on my car well I really doubt I'd let them touch it. I am my own mechanic and pretty much trust knowone.

·
Registered
473 Posts
dsmwookie said:
So do the batteries fail quiet often?]
No. Honda covers them under warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles, so you know they expect them to last longer than that.

dsmwookie said:
As far as a dealership working on my car well I really doubt I'd let them touch it. I am my own mechanic and pretty much trust knowone.
No problem with that. Buy yourself a shop manual (available through the dealer or someone's always selling them on eBay) and have at it. When you require any parts that aren't generic items, you're going to need to order them from a dealer most likely, who is in turn going to have to order them from Honda.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
As a back yard mechanic, I like the simplicity of the IMA system. The Insight doesn't have an alternator, spark plug cables, a distributer, a power steering pump, a power steering belt. The IMA components are all modular so if you are a genius*, you too can have fun messing with the computers etc. If you aren't trained or a genius, DON'T. :shock: Other than the IMA system, it is just another extrordinary little car. The Honda shop manuals are excellent in my humble opinion. Use synthetic oil and do the routine maintenance as per any other car and it will last and last. (One of the forum members, Billy, put half a million miles on his CRX HF, another super efficient car). I use 0W30 synthetic in mine, as do a few others including Willie in his turbo. I suggest it for you, as I assume you will be putting more stress on the car due to your application. Two others on the forum are known to use theirs as delivery and courier vehicles. I believe DFiore is one, and he has over 217,000 miles on his. He did replace his pack once.

*Mike, who is working on Mima, has an industrial sized workshop, a high voltage and industrial robotics background, and can read machine code programs like I read a newspaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went and test drove the car today it had 61,000 miles on it and its a 2000/5 spd. The car drove good and its life average was 50.5mpg which seems a little low but not to low. The battery was charged and anot a single check engine light was on.

The car did have some scratches and a cpl nicks. The antenna had a nick in it and the head lights were hazy. How much do you think its worth? Its red and seats are covered. No factory floormats. Just a tape deck for audio purposes. No cd changer.

He is a member of this site and keeps check on the tire pressure and seemed to pay attention to the car.

My choice is fix my beat up HF or buy a 2000 insight pretty plain and simple just weighning my options.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i vote for the insight on the cool factor alone! :) YMMV. a lot!

andy g.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,926 Posts
Buy it.......I don't think you will regret it.
The hills around Augusta can hurt the mileage somewhat. I visit Augusta every year and love the hills, especially going into N. Augusta and Graniteville S.C. Born in Aiken, SC, lived on Blue Bird Rd. in Augusta for 10 years. Graduated from Richmond Academy in 1959

Keep the tire pressure up to 45-50 psi and don't abuse the IMA and it will serve you faithfully. Drive in the 2200- 2500 rpm range and the life time mileage should slowly creep to 60. Plus it keeps the battery mostly in the "full" range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah Im just worried about delivering and what not I don't have to many hills in my area but their are some. Just the stop and go traffic not sure if it will be ideal for this car or if the HF would be more suited? The area isn't that bad but requires a little pedal in some spots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts