Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have had this car two days and already I'm tired of explaining the car.

THey have been out for 4 years now, and still people love to ask questions about it, touch it, look at it, etc.

Do any of you hand out any type of brochure/print out to these people?

If so do you have a copy of it I can mooch?

I love my car, its red with dark tinted windows, and red/black seat covers. I have so much fun driving it. I drove it home from Indianapolis Saturday and I have drove everywhere around here in it.

My step-dad asked me to open the gas cap and I told him hang on I would have to find it. He said, "You've had this for two days and you still haven't put fuel in it?"

I said, "No I still have over 1/4 tank left.">

ahahha I love it

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well I've had mine in a car show a few times in the past. I got a hard plastic display sleve from Staples and printed up a specs sort of sheet that explains the car and put it to the side of the 12 volt under the hood. I also picked up a 12" white cold cathode light to light it up at night for people to see, barely draws any power.

There are also some cards you can print up, the files are downloadable on this site.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sorry if we didn't warn you about that! In 10 or 15 years our cars will probably look "normal". In the mean time....... :)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I have also put together an A4 sized Word document with all the relevant facts & figures (saves on the ten minute lecture each time). PM me with your e-mail address if you (or anybody else) would like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Do you have to plug it in?"

I can't believe how many people think I have to plug in this car! I also can't believe how many people don't understand hybrid technology at all. I know more about this stuff than 95% of folks who have asked me about it! And believe me, I don't know much! :lol: Then someone said that you get better gas mileage in the city than out here (like I don't get good gas mileage because I'm NOT in the city) and so far, from my experience, the WORST gas mileage I've gotten so far was in stop-and-go traffic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Prius?

So are you saying the Prius gets better gas mileage in the city and the Insight gets better on the Highway? How is the technology that different?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Jennifer:

___Yes, the Prius II does receive better fuel economy in the city then on the highway. Well it is supposed to according to the EPA but in the real world, it is ~ a toss up from my understanding ;) Toyota has designed an incredibly effective hybrid that uses the much larger pack for a more efficient assist, charge, and regen with the same IMA start and a much more advanced Autostop (EV mode) capability as well as Electric A/C although this last item may not be as fuel conserving as some might have hoped?

___In comparison to an Insight 5-speed, the Prius II does not receive anywhere near what our little beauties can achieve in an all-city environment although I am using the term “all-city” quite loosely as it is actually cruising around my local area otherwise known as a suburb which is not exactly the same thing. On the highway, you have a 76 HP Atkinsonized 1.5 L ICE propelling a 2,900 # Prius II (not including occupants) vs. the most efficient 1.0 L ICE ever built propelling a 1,900 # Insight (not including occupants) that might have just 3/4 the frontal area and a slightly lower (.25 vs. .26) Cd. The Prius II doesn’t stand chance in this regard although it does have size, amenities, emissions, and safety HW our Insight’s will never have unfortunately :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1ru5c5po][email protected][/email:1ru5c5po]

G

·
0 Posts
Getting questioned handout

The post office is the worst place for me for getting stopped with questions. And of course the first question is almost always something about plugging it in.

I pass out the following to people - copied back to back:

Page two of "Driver Information and Reference Card" - About the Insight
http://www.insightcentral.net/_files/_p ... r-card.pdf

and

Page two of the "Fact Sheet for the 2004 Insight" - all the specs
http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_o ... ght&bhcp=1
(link can be found on the left hand side near the bottom)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the information guys/gals. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you, but I've been out all day.

I'm still learning to drive my baby, but I love it. I do get tired of the 10 minute lecture about the car, so I'm going to print out some of the things you guys do.

ALso ordered my vanity plate today RED UFO. NO, not unidentified flying object.. it stands for Ultimate Fuel Optimizer :lol:

And call me weird but I find the car easier to drive with the AC on.

JJ

·
Registered
303 Posts
The "Where do you plug it in?" thing is hilarious. I even got that at work, and my company serves the auto retail business; and a handful of people own Priuses and Civic Hybrids.

I think the rear end is evocative of the EV1 and that's why we get asked so much.

Last night I encountered my neighbors on the way home who wanted to congratulate me. It was a hoot when they stopped their red Insight in the driveway and the engine shut off, leaving us to chat as if were were out on a walk. Other than the color, we have the same model.

They also mentioned that the city just purchased a fleet of hybrid busses, that also shut off their engines when stopping to pick up passengers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
King county (Seattle) bought the GM hybrid busses a few years ago. I started seeing ads for them on local stations about a month back and the first passengers started riding on June 5th after extensive testing.

I don't get asked anymore on the Eastside. I guess the novelty has worn off for my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Damn, just how extensive was this testing? A few years!?!?!
Yeah, pretty long time huh. I think testing was somthing like a year or longer. If I remember right they bought one and ran it through all of Seattle's tortures. Rain, more rain, steep hill with rain, little rain with high winds, some more rain, dry spell, lots more rain, sleet, rain again...

:lol:

Here is more info on King County Transit Hybrid program; http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/whatshap/hybrid/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts