Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an insight but I am thinking of getting one. I came across this one on ebay:

2000 Honda Insight dx (can't paste link- My first post) It is a 2000 Honda Insight Citrus Yellow upstate NY.

it looks good but I'm unsure. The engine compartment looks kind of rusty, more so than I've seen on other insights. Description sounds good but not much info on the new IMA battery- seller not responsive.

Has anyone else noticed this auction or know this car or even have an idea about what they see here?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Syracuse - that takes a winter beating up there, but the brake lines have been replaced, so at least those aren't rusted through (I'm from the area, and rusted through brake lines seem to be frequent on used cars). I bought one with comparable miles, though it was a CVT, for $2500 for relevance on the market right now (and I found that to be a good, though not exceptional, deal - a lot of the value with in the seller, who was meticulous in records they had and replaced a lot of items).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree- everything that can rust has rusted! On the other hand you are in Arizona where you don't see so much rust. Here in the Northeast it can be bad.

Still- it makes me wonder...did someone drive it into the Atlantic? Also, on the lower pic, see that piece of hardware cloth (metal mesh) on the end of that duct towards the front of the car- what is that?

Aside from the engine this car looks really good inside and out. It was listed earlier this month and had much better pictures- looked like a winner; but didn't sell because the reserve was not met. It was weird because I think the reserve was $3500, but the highest bid was $3200. Why would you not go the extra $300 if you really wanted it? The seller also will never respond- to me anyway. I'm perplexed- and hesitant. I like the color a lot but still unsure about the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, that would explain why he had to replace the brake lines as I assumed. Rust isn't inherently awful in and of itself, as a salty weather driver. I mean no offense when I say this to our friend from Arizona, but I've seen far worse rust that is essentially harmless. Definitely need to look over the rear axle carefully, but the brake lines would be the main item I would have been worried about.

Rusted steel can cause corrosion on aluminium over time as well. I'd be hesitant. Like I said, I just bought one, much cleaner, same miles (albeit CVT and not Citrus) for $2500.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
daved:
That is the air intake snorkel. That wire mesh keeps the mice out of the air cleaner element area.

HTh
Willie

·
Super Moderator
6,878 Posts
Also, on the lower pic, see that piece of hardware cloth (metal mesh) on the end of that duct towards the front of the car- what is that?
He did that to keep some animal or insect out of the intake system. Could be he had it parked for a while.

Same picture shows a nasty patch of missing paint.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
daved:
That is the air intake snorkel. That wire mesh keeps the mice out of the air cleaner element area.

HTh
Willie
Oh I had a feeling. Mice are always trying to live in my cars! In the garage and outside. I have a Mercury Sable that I keep outside- a mouse, or possibly a chipmunk, chewed through the fuel line. You should have seen the gas spraying out! I'm lucky to be here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that would explain why he had to replace the brake lines as I assumed. Rust isn't inherently awful in and of itself, as a salty weather driver. I mean no offense when I say this to our friend from Arizona, but I've seen far worse rust that is essentially harmless. Definitely need to look over the rear axle carefully, but the brake lines would be the main item I would have been worried about.

Rusted steel can cause corrosion on aluminium over time as well. I'd be hesitant. Like I said, I just bought one, much cleaner, same miles (albeit CVT and not Citrus) for $2500.
There will be no chance to look it over- I'm about 270 miles from the car. That would be the smart thing to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seen it, talked to seller

Ah yes, I've had my eye on this one for a couple months now. I talked to the seller, he's put a lot of work into it, says the AC still needs to be serviced.

He said the car is worth 4500. He's re-listed it several times because the auction always ends at about 3500.

So, I guess the market has dictated that his car is worth 3500 but he refuses to accept that.

If Syracuse was a shorter drive I would definitely go take a look at it, but I'm not parting with over $4K for a car I've only seen in photos on ebay.

I don't have an insight but I am thinking of getting one. I came across this one on ebay:

2000 Honda Insight dx (can't paste link- My first post) It is a 2000 Honda Insight Citrus Yellow upstate NY.

it looks good but I'm unsure. The engine compartment looks kind of rusty, more so than I've seen on other insights. Description sounds good but not much info on the new IMA battery- seller not responsive.

Has anyone else noticed this auction or know this car or even have an idea about what they see here?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah yes, I've had my eye on this one for a couple months now. I talked to the seller, he's put a lot of work into it, says the AC still needs to be serviced.

He said the car is worth 4500. He's re-listed it several times because the auction always ends at about 3500.

So, I guess the market has dictated that his car is worth 3500 but he refuses to accept that.

If Syracuse was a shorter drive I would definitely go take a look at it, but I'm not parting with over $4K for a car I've only seen in photos on ebay.
Wait- did you not see my earlier post? The auction ended and the car sold for $3051. That car is gone, even though it was on my watchlist and it disappeared??? Maybe the car is worth $4500 or more. It certainly is rare. Some people say the insight will be a classic and worth much $$$ someday. I happen to think it is a very cool looking car, and historic in a way- it should be a classic. But where I live the older guys are driving classic Mercedes convertibles, corvettes, Fiats, MGs. They are not driving classic nerdmobiles! Anyway I've watched 2 auctions with this car, I've asked the seller questions but never got a response, and even now wonder if it really sold or existed at all. I'm sure the seller did a lot of work and his car looked good but the auction(s) were run in kind of a weird way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see it now...

Yeah I didn't read all the way through the thread, I'm still new to this forum.

I know what you mean about it being weird, there were two different sets of pictures for the car, from the same seller. The second set was oddly a less detailed set of photos.

You might see the car pop up again on another auction, when I talked to the guy it really didn't seem like he was going to take less than 4K for it. If he posts it again I might just take a road trip up to Syracuse to see if it actually exists.

A very rare car indeed, I absolutely love my CVT but it's starting to show some signs of age... been looking to get into a manual transmission for a while but anything I've seen is trashed... anyone who has a nice one is probably planning on being buried in it.

Wait- did you not see my earlier post? The auction ended and the car sold for $3051. That car is gone, even though it was on my watchlist and it disappeared??? Maybe the car is worth $4500 or more. It certainly is rare. Some people say the insight will be a classic and worth much $$$ someday. I happen to think it is a very cool looking car, and historic in a way- it should be a classic. But where I live the older guys are driving classic Mercedes convertibles, corvettes, Fiats, MGs. They are not driving classic nerdmobiles! Anyway I've watched 2 auctions with this car, I've asked the seller questions but never got a response, and even now wonder if it really sold or existed at all. I'm sure the seller did a lot of work and his car looked good but the auction(s) were run in kind of a weird way.

·
Super Moderator
6,878 Posts
A very rare car indeed, I absolutely love my CVT but it's starting to show some signs of age... been looking to get into a manual transmission for a while but anything I've seen is trashed... anyone who has a nice one is probably planning on being buried in it.
You have hit upon one major factor at work. Folks who have prime cars with reasonable mileage are beginning to hold on, because the supply of that type car is getting limited. I have 3 such cars and do not intend to sell any of them currently. Maybe in 10 years.

Seems folks will buy a $2000 car and spend 3-4 thou on it rather than buy a nice car at start. Then they still have dull paint, peeling paint and dents.

KBB is the worst enemy of realistic pricing of good cars. It is based on car lot sales and that is the trash end of the spectrum. It is also formula base to some degree and doesn't account for the increasing rarity of good cars.

I feel that prices for the top cars are going to rise, so my three are a good investment, just so long as they stay accident free. Why sell at kbb prices:confused:

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Seems folks will buy a $2000 car and spend 3-4 thou on it rather than buy a nice car at start. Then they still have dull paint, peeling paint and dents.
This describes me completely. a $1000 Citrus that I've dumped more than 4k into.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd be concerned that the seller isn't replying to your inquiries. What if you put in a winning bid and still no reply? It's hard enough buying a car w/o seeing it, but in this case the seller isn't even communicating.

·
Super Moderator
6,878 Posts
I'd be concerned that the seller isn't replying to your inquiries. What if you put in a winning bid and still no reply? It's hard enough buying a car w/o seeing it, but in this case the seller isn't even communicating.
Yeah, that. I have a friend who made a winning bid on Craigs List RV and flew all way from MD to Houston to collect his new camper. Neighbors told him that several folks had already been their to collect "their" non existent camper:mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts