Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day three with the brand new Insight - and loving it. Less than 200 miles on the clock, but today averaged 59.5 mpg (British gallons, so about 49.5 mpg US gallons) on a mixture of open road at 60mph and around town with three stops.

I've never driven a car like this before, and am determined to do even better...!
:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice! In 200 miles, my best is around 47mpg (US), so you already got me beat.

Some say that you won't see decent numbers until after break-in or the first oil change, but obviously that's not the case for you :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I'm struggling with a bit is the answer to the question "how hard should I accelerate?". Quite a bit of the wisdom on this forum suggests that a (rather counter intuitive) rapid acceleration to your cruising speed is best, but how can I judge whether I'm over/under doing it? It does feel strange to accelerate briskly in order to save fuel!

I've been using the instant mpg bar graph and trying to strike a three-way balance between (1) minimising instantaneous consumption during acceleration, (2) getting to my cruising speed acceptably quickly so I can lift off the throttle, and (3) making the most of the electric assistance.

Any thoughts or guidance on this specific point from those more experienced than me (so that's everyone, 'cos I've driven less than 200 miles so far!) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
On that topic, in another thread someone else said it best that there is really no one answer that will suit all situations. I'll see if I can find that post, but personally, for my daily driving scenario, I've found it best to just get up to speed moderately quickly and get off the gas as soon as possible. I usually end up somewhere in the 1800-2400RPM range.

When I'm watching the MPG meter on the MID (or my SG2), starting off from a dead stop really slowly shows about the same (or marginally better) MPG as quicker acceleration. These numbers are obviously not exact, but I feel like going 20MPG for 30 seconds to get up to speed is going to use more fuel than going 10-15MPG for 10 seconds. I know the numbers are not linear like that, but I think it gets the point across...

I also take traffic into account. I don't want to be the cause of road rage if I can avoid it, so I will sometimes get up to speed quicker than what I would like to just stay with everyone else. On the flip side, if there is no one behind me, I will regularly go under the speed limit or coast a long time if I happen to be holding a high "instant MPG".

·
Registered
85 Posts
One thing I'm struggling with a bit is the answer to the question "how hard should I accelerate?". Quite a bit of the wisdom on this forum suggests that a (rather counter intuitive) rapid acceleration to your cruising speed is best, but how can I judge whether I'm over/under doing it? It does feel strange to accelerate briskly in order to save fuel!

I've been using the instant mpg bar graph and trying to strike a three-way balance between (1) minimising instantaneous consumption during acceleration, (2) getting to my cruising speed acceptably quickly so I can lift off the throttle, and (3) making the most of the electric assistance.

Any thoughts or guidance on this specific point from those more experienced than me (so that's everyone, 'cos I've driven less than 200 miles so far!) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
How do you do #3?

1st week on my new Insight and I've burned up a tank of gas. I got 43MPG, calculated from the fillup (50% city). So far I have saved no money. I normally drive half that much in a weeks time, but saving gas is addicting.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you do #3?

1st week on my new Insight and I've burned up a tank of gas. I got 43MPG, calculated from the fillup (50% city). So far I have saved no money. I normally drive half that much in a weeks time, but saving gas is addicting.....
Modest acceleration seems to invoke a degree of electric assistance in some circumstances, which feels like it should be a good thing: but I'm a novice and still don't really understand how to make the most of the electric motor.

That said, coasting is obviously helpful, and I'm learning to judge my braking (especially to a standstill at lights or junctions) to maximise regeneration. Something else I've learned is to come to rest at the right point on a junction, so you can do your observation/decision without having to creep forwards and risk (the petrol engine) stopping and starting twice when it didn't need to....

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
It's all a learning game and doing what you are comfortable with. It takes a whole lot of driving to "get the hang of it".
Read a lot here at ICN and do a lot of experimenting.
Just enjoy the vehicle and LEARN LEARN.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your ideas and encouragement folks.

I'm keen to try out some different acceleration techniques (e.g. the 1800-2400 rpm range), so I'm going to have to find some kind of excuse to use the car tomorrow, even though I'm working at home...:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
When you're coasting focus on just touching the gas very slightly and you'll see the needle just bump up a little into the assisst territory and it'll actually gain you speed if you're down hill or at the least stop slowing you down from the charging

1 - 10 of 10 Posts