Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have the same car/yr. but this one has AC. It's for sale @ $1200 but had a rattling noise when idling but when push clutch down, it goes away. I had estimates to repair and AAMCO is $1700 (w/ new clutch rec.) and Honda $1400.....is that way too high and is it worth investing $ before I buy this vehicle that I know had 2 owners to date. No accidents other but has dings and prob. needs new tires.
Suggestions?
Gary

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,711 Posts
Location?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have the same car/yr. but this one has AC. It's for sale @ $1200 but had a rattling noise when idling but when push clutch down, it goes away. I had estimates to repair and AAMCO is $1700 (w/ new clutch rec.) and Honda $1400.....is that way too high and is it worth investing $ before I buy this vehicle that I know had 2 owners to date. No accidents other but has dings and prob. needs new tires.
Suggestions?
Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suggestions?
Gary

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, it sounds like a bad input shaft bearing. Is that what the quotes are for? A throwout bearing would have the opposite symptom, noisy when pushed in and quiet when released. It should probably have the synchro mod performed. I doubt those guys would do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, it sounds like a bad input shaft bearing. Is that what the quotes are for? A throwout bearing would have the opposite symptom, noisy when pushed in and quiet when released. It should probably have the synchro mod performed. I doubt those guys would do that.
Is that a more expensive job, or same range?

·
Administrator
11,796 Posts
Gearbox has to come out and apart, may as well do synchro and clutch etc while you are at it.
You will thank me later.

ISB = Similar price range but more $ labour and less $ parts than clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for input. Not sure if worth putting that $ into the car but price seemed right from get-go since was $1200. Also, for an '00 Insight, 165K mis. also pretty good. Time to decide!

·
Registered
533 Posts
It is probably a lot more money as I assume they were just quoting R&R the transmission plus the cost of the clutch parts. With the ISB that all has to happen plus the transmission has to come apart parts replaced. And I don't think you want to do that without performing the synchro mods. KLR3CYL could give you an idea of cost to have a professional do it, but I don't know if there is anyone in your area that knows about the mod. I've heard of people paying 3-$400 to R&R a transmission so maybe buying one from someone like Scott and having a local replace it is the way to go. But then you still probably want to do the clutch and rear motor mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts