Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a big shock yesterday - driving out of a car park when a Prius drove in - he gave me the thumbs up! First time I have been acknowledged by a Prius driver. I thought Prius drivers were a very conservative and reserved bunch unlike us friendly approachable Insight drivers!

:)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Naw, while it is true that most Insight owners are rather over the top outgoing and enthusistic, Prius owners are also justifiably proud to be part of the hybrid revolution that is happening. I got a big smile and thumbs up from a Prius driver two weeks ago. Considering I'm in Canada, it couldn't be the same one! :D

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Wow, I find that amazing. I try thumbs up to Prius drivers all the time and the either don't notice me or ignore me. While I'm sure there are a lot of them who would give us a thumbs up, I know there are some who probably think the Honda design is inferior.

That said I did have a little Hybrid moment a few months ago. It was right after the Accord had come out and I hadn't yet seen one on the road. I had just turned out of my neighborhood to head to work and bam, there was one right next to me at the light. All three passengers were looking at my car, the driver was oblivious. I gave a thumbs up, the front passenger nudged the driver and I got a return thumbs up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rick said:
Wow, I find that amazing. I try thumbs up to Prius drivers all the time and the either don't notice me or ignore me. While I'm sure there are a lot of them who would give us a thumbs up, I know there are some who probably think the Honda design is inferior.
Yeah, my physics professor friend who owns a Prius dared to call the Honda technology "mild" hybrid technology! (because the engine is never off while driving)

This from a guy who gets about 47 mpg overall in his new prius. The nerve!! I get that in my diesel Beetle!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Could it just be that a lot of new Prius owners do not know what the Insight is for not returning the gesture.I still get asked questions about the unusual look of the car from people who don't have a clue as to the Hybrid aspect.
Most Insight owners seem to be inthusiasts having chosen the most fuel efficient vehicle but this is not the case with the Prius.Most Prius owners have only recently become "Hybrid aware" with all the publicity, and needing a more conventional sedan design would never seek out (be aware)or consider the Insight.
Also by giving the thumbs up at least you make them feel good about their purchase (good PR )even if they are not knowledgeable enough to return the gesture. :wink:

DGate

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yup, 98 percent of the folk that ask me about my car don't know what it is. Half of them ask me who makes it as they don't even recognise the Honda badge. Go figure. They think it is cool though, so it is a great way to advertise Honda. Prius is hardly a rare car on the street. Soon it will get to the point where accidents could be caused by drivers giving each other the high sign! :shock:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nah, Corvette owners have had their own little thing they do when they drive by eachother for years. Granted, it's just a little wave, your hand doesn't even leave the steering wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts