Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Insight has radically altered the driving style of this leadfoot... while at car shows I've approached the CHP officers manning their display booths with the question: "What is the minimum speed limit while driving in the right lane on California freeways?"

Judging by the quizzical looks on their faces, they'd never been hit with this one - and their answers varied. Evidently there is no minimum speed law (disclaimer - I'm no lawyer and this isn't legal advice). They said that generally it is not a problem if you go 10mph under the posted speed limit for your vehicle (e.g., 55mph for posted 65mph and for trucks on the same roadway, 45mph for their 55mph - go figure). They also said that you must not be obstructing traffic or you'd be ticketed, to which I emphasized that I was talking about the RIGHT lane which, as we all know when we drive 55, means you're obstructing 99.9% of the traffic and that everyone has to move over to pass you (some later than sooner - think I'll start a collection of grill photographs). They left that response hanging... bottom line is that I still haven't received a solid answer. Anyway, so far the CHP has ignored me and probably never even noticed my 50-60+mph constantly-varying speeds as they zoom by. Don't worry, in heavy traffic I DO speed up and go with the flow.

I'm curious, has anyone here ever been stopped and admonished for driving too slowly :?:

If I ever got such a ticket I think I'd have it framed, as none of my long-time friends would believe me! :lol: JoeS.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think as a general rule, 10 mph under the posted speed limit is acceptable. For instance, driving 40 mph on a freeway marked 65 mph may make you the target of some nasty gestures and close calls with people who are not paying enough attention. On the freeway, I try to keep within 15 mph of the speed limit. This means not dipping below 50 mph.

On streets, however, I usually try to stick within 5 mph of the posted speed limit. I'm usually right at the speed limit on the street, though, as I know it can be REALLY frustrating if you miss the green light because of some guy in front of you driving too slow. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It also might depend on the type of vehicle. I recently followed a truck on I25 south of Colorado Springs who was going 50-55 in a 75 MPH zone. It was good, actually, because people (including the police, if had been any) could see that the truck was going slowly and it wasn't just a wierdo in a wierd car. They zoomed around both of us...

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
I think the 2 laws are speed violation which can only happen above the posted speed limit... and they can ticket you for driving unsafe or obstructing traffic... but exactly what counts as obstructing traffic or being unsafe ... is very much a matter of debate, and officer opinion ....

Just hope you have at least 1/2 desent cops where you live.... I have seen allot of cops abuse thier powers and do very unethical sometimes even illegal things and get away with it completely.... some get put on TV but I have seen some first hand....

most cops 90% are fine doing there jobs... with an ego the size of a small planet .... do thier jobs and are fine ...

in my experince ~10% of cops are there just for the power of the possition... they abuse it regularly... and sometimes openly ..... and 90% of the cops will defend them and back them up 90% of the time....

They are peace officers after all not law enforcement officers.... there is a difference.

·
Registered
366 Posts
On Maui there are posted maximum and minimum speed limits.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Also on Michigan freeways (I-xx) there is a minimum of 45 posted below the maximum (typically 70). I used to go 65, but I'm slower with my new Insight. I find that getting behind a semi (even if not drafting) is good because the fast drivers see the semi coming up and automatically go into the passing lane without wrath or anger.

On the smaller roads I assume they use some kind of vague "obstructing flow of traffic" law, but I don't go much if any slower than the speed limit on the smaller roads, so it's never come up for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've found, atleast where I drive on the highways, that going much slower than the speed limit won't help my mileage. It seems that holding momentum is more important than holding speed.

That said, driving much slower on the highway is a terrible idea.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
No need to ask a cop in Wisconsin. Min 45 MPH is posted on the Interstates.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In central Florida the minimum speed on I-4 is technically 45 mph, but you'd be absolutely crazy to drive under 60 mph, since people here use the slow lane as their personal passing lane! Drivers regularly cut from the middle lane into the slow lane at 90 mph to pass a semi if the fast lane is already occupied, and if you're in the way they have to dangerously slam on the brakes. As payback for your thoughtlessness, they ride about 2 feet off your bumper until they can cut back over.
I generally drive between 65 and 75 mph on the highway part of my commute, and I trade some mpg for safety, but I still manage to average over 70 mpg every tank

·
Registered
156 Posts
Old thread resurrected...

Exactly what I see cowmeat. Here they drive left, pass right. There could be twenty people lined up in the left lane at the stop light, and only one or two in the right lane. Also, the cops are so lenient that 10 mph is standard driving and they won't even look at you unless you are 20 mph over.

I drive roughly 60 in the 65s, although most folks are still driving 10-15 over the speed limit. Love driving behind those slow trucks though. I have found that tailgaters are a**holes, so I try not to be one of them by being one back. BUT I will let up a little on the throttle to encourage them to pass.

Well aware of not holding up or impeding traffic, but if there are folks behind me and there is ample opportunity to pass, and they don't pass, I'll assume they are following... to a point. I always move to the far right when it is clear up ahead to encourage passing on the two lanes. On divided highways, two lanes each direction, if they are behind me and don't pass, then so be it. They guy behind me is not driving my car, I am. I don't allow them to force me to drive a certain way - bad habits and such. later.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've probably posted this before but because it was mentioned in this thread as depending on the type of vehicle, but worth mentioning again.

I have performed several experiments on efficient driving with both the Insight and the RX-7.

When I drive the Insight efficiently, as in maintaining a steady speed, long regens to red lights, not fully accelerating to the next red light and accelerating at a gradual pace (note: always ending above the speed limit to go with traffic flow), it results in a large number of angry drivers. Tailgaters, angry passers, horns, etc.

When I drive the RX-7 exactly the same, not a single issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In central Florida the minimum speed on I-4 is technically 45 mph, but you'd be absolutely crazy to drive under 60 mph, since people here use the slow lane as their personal passing lane! Drivers regularly cut from the middle lane into the slow lane at 90 mph to pass a semi if the fast lane is already occupied, and if you're in the way they have to dangerously slam on the brakes. As payback for your thoughtlessness, they ride about 2 feet off your bumper until they can cut back over.
I generally drive between 65 and 75 mph on the highway part of my commute, and I trade some mpg for safety, but I still manage to average over 70 mpg every tank
Some of the problem in our area can be traced to older drivers and tourists who drive slowly in the left lanes. I don't mean to defend folks who pass on the right, but I've seen a line of 20 cars behind someone driving slow in the left lane on the turnpike. That's rude and dangerous.

Personally, if I want to play around with getting a good milage number, I take back roads. If I'm on the turnpike or the interstate, then I'll go with the flow of traffic. Like you say, decent milage numbers can be obtained even if you need to get up in the 70s from time to time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most East coast states have posted minimum speeds on the interstates. Or at least I think they do. Always 45 mph. I wouldn't go that slow on the interstate ever unless I was in something large and likely to survive being rear ended at 70-80 mph by a driver not paying attention.

I also find that people can be real jackasses. I've been going 60 on an interstate that is 5 lanes wide each direction and some people still ride my *** and get angry with me when they eventually pass. Even had a crappy semi do it to me once which surprised me as most semis are used to holding up traffic.

I do find that the more 'country' the vehicle (jacked up truck, beater t-bird, etc) the more they get mad at the Insight as compared to me driving the same way in any of my other vehicles.

Disclaimer: I come from a long line of TN ********.

Momentum makes a huge difference but so does speed. Driving the insight at 45 should get 100 mpg. I'd have to doublecheck the graph. I also believe that slow acceleration only helps if your average speed is slower because of the slow starts. I usually start normally to minimize traffic issues behind me but not to top out too fast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ideally, IMHO, you should accelerate at roughly 70% throttle, even a bit more. The key is making sure the oxygen sensor is controlling the fuel schedule. Typically during WOT, the O2 sensor is tossed out and becomes very fuel inefficient. I am shifting at 2500 RPM in order to stay in the most fuel efficient part of the BSFC chart (1500 to 2500 rpm) at near-max torque while accelerating. I think you will consume more fuel being outside that range while accelerating. During steady cruising - hypermiling trumps the BSFC chart.

When I had my Chevy Metro I had always accelerated slow. But when someone said I should be accelerating at a higher rate, I tried that. My next tank was my record best tank (70+ mpg). This is really heard to do because we have this practiced light foot to keep MPGs at a maximum. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The U.S. Congress established a minimum speed of 45 in the 1970s (unless the state posts a sign that states otherwise). That minimum speed is still in effect and applies to all interstates.

One time a California Highway Patrol pulled me over for doing 38 (the cruise was set to 41 so clearly his radar was off). He tried to enter my car without my permission, but I had the door locked (no warrant == no search). Then he asked why I was going so slow and I said, "Because it's Sunday and I am just sight-seeing." He then instructed me to speed-up to 65. (When I got home I researched and discovered the minimum speed==45 law.)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've found, atleast where I drive on the highways, that going much slower than the speed limit won't help my mileage.
On the highway most of the gasoline energy goes to pushing air out of the way. Since kinetic energy == 1/2 * mass * velocity squared, velocity has a huge impact. i.e. Slower uses less energy.

In my electric car the highest MPGe was achieved at 30 mph, while internal combustion engines is around 40 (depending on how slow the car can go while in top gear).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.