Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a fix-it ticket the other day for having no front license plate on my Insight. I'm sorry, but I refuse to put a front plate on this car and wreck the aerodynamics that Honda spent so much effort perfecting. So I will put the plate back on long enough to get the ticket signed off, then off comes the plate again.

What pisses me off is the cop didn't seem to mind that a garbage truck ran a red light right in front of him just before he decided to pull me over. I guess moving violations that can kill people just aren't as important.

Anybody else flaunt the law by keeping the front plate off their Insight? I know some states don't even require a front plate.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The difference in fuel efficiency between using a front plate and not using a front plate on an Insight is impossible to notice and measure outside a windtunnel laboratory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, you got me. It's not just the aerodynamics. I also don't like the way they look. It's an aesthetic thing. Call me weird, I don't care.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I totally agree with you not wanting to put a front plate on it. I lucked out, Arizona does not require front plates. I remember someone put their front license plate in front of their grille so that way you can at least not have to drill in to your front bumper to mount the front license plate kit.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Skimmer said:
I also don't like the way they look. It's an aesthetic thing. Call me weird, I don't care.
If you're weird, SO AM I!!!!
A rectangle on the front of something that is sloping and aerodynamic contradicts the effect. (ie: STICKS OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!)
I received a warning ticket about 20 years ago in Illinois for not having a front license plate. The main reason I was stopped for was speeding. Not too much of a chance of that happening now. I have driven the Insight for 10 months so far without a ticket, but I'm willing to take the risk.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Skimmer said:
I'm sorry, but I refuse to put a front plate on this car and wreck the aerodynamics that Honda spent so much effort perfecting.

What pisses me off is the cop didn't seem to mind that a garbage truck ran a red light right in front of him just before he decided to pull me over. I guess moving violations that can kill people just aren't as important.
[Moderator snip] You knew what the law was in your state before you even bought the car. Stop blaming the Police for doing their job. But you go ahead and be defiant....oh yea that will change things.

What you should be doing is blaming Honda for not designing the car with a front plate in mind.

But if you don't like the law then contact your state rep and get involved.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmm. That seemed a little hostile.

Anyways, I can't see much if any different aerodynamically - as air that would otherwise not be blocked by the license plate would be blocked by the radiator mere inches behind it.

I could have sworn that the Insight grill has a flat surface for mounting the front license plate on, but maybe the person who made the holes for mine just did a really good job.

·
Registered
242 Posts
front license plate

Actually, Honda makes a front tag bracket (as do all automakers - AAIK) for those of us who are unfortunate enough to live in areas that require a front tag. I have to agree with you, it ain't pretty - the car looks a lot better without it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have never had a front plate on my car. When I bought it almost 5 years ago the dealer offered to install the front plate on it but I told them I would put it on at home. Of course I never did. I think they look terrible on an Insight. I do have them on our other car and van. Technically a front plate is required in Texas so I am risking a ticket at any time.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Most newer cars look terrible with front plates because they weren't designed with a front plate in mind. This was never an issue years ago because cars were more blunt up front.

Granted I don't agree with the front plate laws but until the law changes I will follow it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I drove plateless until a couple of months ago when I got one too many fix-it tickets. The bracket isn't horrible, although it doesn't stay snug. No difference in mileage. (Do people on this site drive naked to reduce the car payload?)

But, I was happy to have the front plate installed when somebody backed out of a parallel parking space and would have hit my bumper if it hadn't been for the lowly license plate.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It didn't harm my Maryland Insight.

I drove about 6 months without the front plate. Then my mom started nagging me, so I put it on to shut her up. I didn't notice any difference in MPG.

Still, I agree that it's ugly. I don't know why a front plate is necessary? The police can't read it when I'm traveling down the interstate, and my home state of Pennsylvania doesn't use them... they still manage to catch the bad guys.

NOTE: It's not just the Insight. LOTS of aerodynamic-styled cars look ugly with those front plates. Stratus, Jetta, Civic... none of them look good with that ugly piece of metal on the front.

troy

·
Registered
274 Posts
I removed the front plate and bracket as soon as I got home from the dealer. I never had a front plate on my 88 CRX Si for 10+ years and haven't had one on my 02 Insight for almost 3. No tickets to date. I agree, it just doesn't look right on an Insight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: front license plate

Jim said:
Actually, Honda makes a front tag bracket (as do all automakers - AAIK) for those of us who are unfortunate enough to live in areas that require a front tag. I have to agree with you, it ain't pretty - the car looks a lot better without it.
to its credit tho, the bracket fits well and is much better fitting/appearing than i was imagining it was going to be. i didn't mind poking the holes in the bumper as much as i would've been torqued off by getting a ticket such as the OP did.
i got one of them (ticket) once while having the front plate in the back seat of my car (civic) as i had no bolts/nuts to affix it to the front with. since then the front plate has been zip-stripped onto the little metal Y shaped whisker bracket without issue.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My current state does not requre a front plane and you can have tinted windows. These are 2 reasons I like this state better than the last one I lived in. The last one did require front plane and made me rip off the window tint.

Corvettes have a really pointy front end and look a lot better without a front plate IMO. I'd never be brave enough to drive without a front plane if I lived in a state that required one.

Perhaps you should move to a cooler state?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How about the rear plate?

I just bought an 05 and don't see any way to mount the rear plate onto that thin plastic panel. Do we just put in a couple of screws and hope it holds? I know the rear plate sits in a channel, but what are you guys using to hold the top of the rear plate on?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Rear: Sheet metal screws into plastic. Don't strip them, like the idiot at my dealership did.

Front: Sheet metal screws into plastic mounting bracket.

I saw somebody the other day with a license place painted onto the front of their truck. Not sure if this is legal, though (in Colorado). I wish it were...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts