Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our 2000 Insight needs a new home. It has a MIMA system installed, along with the grid charger. We really like this car but we got an almost new Bolt and can't afford to keep the Honda. One nagging issue is the check engine light telling me that the CAT needs replacement. This is a California car and there are no aftermarket units available. The Honda part is close to $3k. What to do. Donate the car, Scrap it? What is the value? It has 265k miles. We are in California.

·
Registered
2006 5MT Insight w/ warm air intake, grid charger and more!
145 Posts
Our 2000 Insight needs a new home. It has a MIMA system installed, along with the grid charger. We really like this car but we got an almost new Bolt and can't afford to keep the Honda. One nagging issue is the check engine light telling me that the CAT needs replacement. This is a California car and there are no aftermarket units available. The Honda part is close to $3k. What to do. Donate the car, Scrap it? What is the value? It has 265k miles.
Where are you located? I’m sure someone would be interested in buying it, if you’re in the east coat i’d be interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I used a DAVICO brand upper cat in my 2001, it was $192 shipped last summer, fit perfectly and worked perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I used a DAVICO brand upper cat in my 2001, it was $192 shipped last summer, fit perfectly and worked perfectly.
You cannot buy that cat in california.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2000 Insight needs a new home. It has a MIMA system installed, along with the grid charger. We really like this car but we got an almost new Bolt and can't afford to keep the Honda. One nagging issue is the check engine light telling me that the CAT needs replacement. This is a California car and there are no aftermarket units available. The Honda part is close to $3k. What to do. Donate the car, Scrap it? What is the value? It has 265k miles. We are in California.
First, in which area in California do you live? I may be interested in the car, I'm just north of L.A. Second, what code are you getting on your scanning device? Third, have you ever had the EGR valve replaced or cleaned out the track. (this can help with emissions) and fourth, California does (or did, you need to check online) have a buy back program for cars that cannot pass smog. The last I knew it was $1,500, with certain caveats. But if you want to try something really "out there" first, then try cleaning your Cat. There are two ways of doing this, the first is to have the gas tank about half full, then pour in a gallon of lacquer thinner and take a continous drive of about 200 miles. Sometimes that can clean the Cat. The other way gets messier, and that is to remove the Cat from your car and soak it overnight in some heavy duty dish soap. move it around a lot in there, and maybe do a couple of days of cleaning, since you done need to drive the car on a daily basis. When the code for a bad Cat comes on, it means the unit is only about 94% effective. It might not take much to get it to 95% and clean enough to pass smog. Good Luck to you, what ever you decide.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,333 Posts
OP:
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, in which area in California do you live? I may be interested in the car, I'm just north of L.A. Second, what code are you getting on your scanning device? Third, have you ever had the EGR valve replaced or cleaned out the track. (this can help with emissions) and fourth, California does (or did, you need to check online) have a buy back program for cars that cannot pass smog. The last I knew it was $1,500, with certain caveats. But if you want to try something really "out there" first, then try cleaning your Cat. There are two ways of doing this, the first is to have the gas tank about half full, then pour in a gallon of lacquer thinner and take a continous drive of about 200 miles. Sometimes that can clean the Cat. The other way gets messier, and that is to remove the Cat from your car and soak it overnight in some heavy duty dish soap. move it around a lot in there, and maybe do a couple of days of cleaning, since you done need to drive the car on a daily basis. When the code for a bad Cat comes on, it means the unit is only about 94% effective. It might not take much to get it to 95% and clean enough to pass smog. Good Luck to you, what ever you decide.
Thanks for the info. We are in Fortuna ( near Eureka). The buyback program is interesting although I hate to see the car go to the crushers. The obd code shown is P0420.

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
Good morning,

I see a post above about adding, Lacquer Thinner to the gas tank and trying to run the car to clean the catalytic converters.

I must caution anyone who considers trying this that you may ruin the fuel system on your vehicle. At the shop where I work, over the years occasionally someone has brought in a vehicle that they have added Lacquer Thinner to the fuel system. Lacquer Thinner solvent is more aggressive than gasoline. It can ruin the plastic and rubber parts of the fuel system.

We wear a lot of latex gloves in the shop and gasoline rarely affects them. I’ve also done paint and body work for about 40 years. When I use latex type gloves around Lacquer Thinner usually in a mater of minutes the gloves are falling apart.

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not something I would try. I am doubtful that a cat can be cleaned except by baking it in an oven at 800-1000 degrees.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our Insight found a new home. Saying good bye to the forum- it's been a great source.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts