Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has come for me to finally purchase and install an aftermarket cruise control on my '01 Insight. Looks like it's been a while since anyone has done this, so I'm up for suggestions. As far as I can tell, I want to install one just like this person did.

http://portev.org/solectria/ho/incruise.htm

I would use the exact same parts.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could purchase this? The one that was on ebay is now gone and I could kick myself for not getting it sooner.

Thanks again to all for your continued help on this forum!

jfire

·
Registered
38 Posts
I followed the description you sited and made / used the bracket. I called Rostra for a dealer. Worked very well, but not the the way to get good MPG.

Just as an aside, I went for a short drive two weeks ago from San Diego, CA to Normal, Illinois (2020 miles) and then on to Honeoye, New York (780+ miles I think) for a total trip of a bit over 5700 miles. My cruse control failed about 300 miles out. DARN! I haven't had time to figure out what hapened, but know it isn't power tap at the fuse block. I had suspected that. Double Darn!

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I still haven't installed mine for fear it will impact gas mileage. Guess I just need to get it done and see for myself :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The cool thing would be to add additional, functionalty. For example, if you could set the MPG instead of the MPH. That would be too simplistic, of course, because if you set it at 75 you would never get up some hills, and would go 90 MPH on the flat. So the algorithm needs to be more complicated.

Step 1. Install cruise control.
Step 2. Modify it so you can control it by your notebook computer.
Step 3. Figure out a good algorithm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jfire,

I just did the Rostra Cruise control install (I waited for the 100K warranty to run out). It is worth it. As far as MPG goes, yes, you can get better MPG with your foot IF you are constantly thinking about it. Sometimes you just want to drive without the hassle of constantly being AWARE.

The cruise doesn't change anything about how the car works. It only functions when you turn it on. When I feel lazy, I can still set it to 68 MPH and get 70 or 75 MPG.

For you and anyone else installing the Rostra, I'll offer some suggestions.

I also used Mr. Yeagers instructions. They are good, but I think this will help.

1. When passing the wire harness through the heater cable hole, cut the latches off sides of the white connectors. They connect tight enough and a little electrical tape will secure them well. They are a real bear to get through hole un-trimmed.

2. When going for the VSS signal wire, it is the blue and white wire, but it is not position 5, it is position 6.

3. There are three small spade connectors at the top of the under-dash fuse box that have power (it can't be seen, just felt). Use the left one as you face the box. And the beautiful bolt at the center bottom of the fuse box, that looks like the perfect place to attach your ground wire. That bolt is not grounded and if you use it, you will think your transmitter/receiver has failed and you will buy a new one for no reason at all. Don't ask how I know this. Incidentally, I have a brand-new never before used RF transmitter/receiver for sale. I will include a piece of aluminum for the bracket, and the extra dacron bolt
to mount it. $60 including shipping.

4. I found no really great place to mount the receiver, so I used zip ties through the holes and ran them around the box behind the change bin to the left of the steering wheel. It is the Key-less entry receiver, and having the cruise receiver against it doesn't have any effect.

That is all I can think of to make your life easier. I have used my cruise control for 2500 miles on my 3 times per week, 100 mile RT commute and it is a dream.

Tom
'01 #1042 ECOBOT

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the replies, especially yours, Thomas!
I was able to find a source for the whole kit at $250.00 and it's on it's way!
If anyone else has any install advice I could use every ounce of it you could give me. I'll be working on this next week.

Thanks again!

jfire

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cruise control strives to maintain a constant speed; so if you're going uphill, rather than slow you down, the CC will automatically increase the throttle to maintain the currently set speed. Better MPG is achieved (especially in these cars) if you can accept some variation in your speed -- faster going downhill, slower going uphill. Also CC can't predict the road, whereas you can. So if you're coming up on a really big, steep hill, you might want to increase your speed early for the inevitable drop, maybe downshift early, etc. If you're coming on a steep, short hill, the CC might overreact, whereas you might just accept the temporary drop in speed to keep from dropping your mpg.

Hope this helps,
-fly

·
Registered
88 Posts
High MPG in an Insight is generally done by DWL (Driving with Load), finding a MPG setpoint (75 mpg is what I generally use) and holding the throttle there most of the time.

Cruise control will have to dramatically alter the throttle angle to maintain speed, and will probably tap assist and regen quite frequently in areas that have hills.

Of course, if it's flat where you live, it's probably not terrible for FE.

·
Registered
171 Posts
jfire said:
Thanks so much for the replies, especially yours, Thomas!
I was able to find a source for the whole kit at $250.00 and it's on it's way!
If anyone else has any install advice I could use every ounce of it you could give me. I'll be working on this next week.

Thanks again!

jfire
Post your own advice too after the install. I don't have cruise control yet, but after driving up to HybridFest from Florida, I really wanted it. I just haven't had the extra money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be a week or so before I can get to it, but I'll post what I find out while installing it. Thanks again to all the posts!!

jfire

·
Registered
344 Posts
I built my cruise from salvage material from work. I will try to get a pic posted tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, today was the day that I dove in with both feet and installed my cruise control. Everything went as planned and the website writeup previously discussed was right on the money. The only thing I had to do was call the place I ordered it from http://www.mnrelectronics.com/hoincrcokit2.html

and asked for Michael. On the control box there is a series of 12 dip switches similar to the old garage door openers. The instructions were very vague about which switch went where, but Michael simply told me on, off, off, on, on etc. until all twelve were in the right position. My apologies but I did not write them down. The wiring was straightforward and everything took me about 5 hours to do by myself. The hardest part was standing on my head with my feet out the hatchback in order to get under the dash. I took the car for a spin and HOLY CRAP.... It WORKED!!

Many thanks to everyone on this forum (especially Thomas Balmer, above) who helped me with this project. It is by far the most complicated thing I have done with a vehicle. Now to move on to the stereo!!

Thanks again, guys!

jfire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts