Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to retain the high MPG capability of the car, but am not impressed with the performance/longevity of the Bridgestone RE92's. I have read some threads in the forum about other members having mixed reviews about switching from the OEM tires.

Now being that the RE92's are just about the only option that I can find in 165/65/14, the only other option would be going up 1 size to 175/65/14. Has anyone had any positive experiences with other tires? They make LRR tires in that size. I found a set of Michelin Defender tires for about $50 cheaper than the RE92's, and they last over twice as long

Here is my dilemma: I drive 50,000 miles a year & I just can't stomach spending $450 a year on tires.

So even if I take a hit of 5 MPG with the Michelin's, it sounds like it still makes sense to buy them. The Michelin's are quieter, have a nicer ride & do better in wet weather conditions. Here are my figures over 2 years.

RE92's are 40,000 mile tires. 2 sets in 2 years: $450 X 2 = $900.
AVG 55 MPG at 50,000 miles a year (gas $4.25 gal)
Fuel cost: $3,864
Tire cost: $900
Total: $4,764

Michelin Defender's are 90,000 mile tires. 1 set in 2 years: $400.
AVG 50 MPG at 50,000 miles a year (gas $4.25 gal)
Fuel cost: $4,250
Tire cost: $400
Total: $4,650

Any insight you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
How do you know you'll get 50 mpg with the Michelin's?

A couple years ago I had to get a new set of tires. Discount Tire didn't have RE92's in stock so I got talked into some other LRR Michelin tire (don't rem model). Immediately my mpg went from 63 to 50 in the first tank of gas, 21% hit. I went back the next day and said I want the RE92's, took a week and I put 1000 miles on the Michelin's, but Discount changed them out without a problem.

·
7,259 Posts
What type of driving do you do? City, highway, mixed?

Are the Defenders supposed to be low rolling resistance? I am not sure about that. Maybe look into the Michelin Energy Savers, you can get them in P165/65R14. They are expensive, and I don't know how long they last off hand, but they will only cause a 4-6% MPG hit, rather than 8-12% like most other tires - especially if you go to 175mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just estimated a 9% hit at most for the Michelin's.
The Dendender's are part of their Green X line of tires that are LRR.
Both RE92's and the Defenders have a 30-day Satisfaction guarantee in case you aren't happy with them.

My driving is mixed about 50/50 City/hwy.

One thing I forgot to mention, was when I purchased the car 2 months ago, it had 165/65/14 RE92's in back, but 175/65/14 Continental Touring Contact AS in the front. Which might be why I can't get more than 62MPG on any given tank, haha. I believe the RE92's in the back are the original tires. The car is a 2003 with only 39k miles on it. And the manufacture date on the tires is mid year 2002.

·
7,259 Posts
Might be an interesting trade off. I don't rotate my tires, and get about 32k out of the fronts and 72k out of the rears on the RE92s.

Maybe try the RE92s in the back and Defenders in the front? Shrug.. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.