Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble with my gen1 '06 Insight's IMA, and unfortunately I don't have the time/money/energy/know how to fix it. So I'm thinking about letting it go. Any advice about the best way to sell it? I would like to give it to someone who will love it as much as I have! I'm in the Midwest if any of you are interested in it!

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
Probably the IMA battery is finished. There are easy ways to bypass the battery and run without it, but there will be warning lights on the dash. You can ignore them if you don't have pollution inspection. The acceleration will be pretty slow.

There are also ways to turn off the warning lights but that requires some electrical wiring and minor computer skills.

How many miles and what condition? What is your state.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not a bad idea but I don't think I want to do that. I will have to pass an emmissions test eventually and it is crazy slow without the IMA.

I live in Illinois. 114,000 miles. Condition is otherwise pretty good. It's got it's issues (I can detail them if you're interested in it) but it's clean and doesn't have any other mechanical problems. It's also red which I've heard is rare for the '06!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Miles are fairly low but you don't mention if it's a stick or automatic. If it looks and runs nice otherwise, expect to get in the $1500 range +/- a few hundred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a grid charger but not a discharger. The charger worked great at first but now it won't hold a charge for more than a couple days.

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
I don't personally need another Insight, I have three. But, 114,000 is pretty low mileage and would probably be attractive to some member. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. You could list it down in the buy/sell area of the forum, with some pictures, description and an asking price. Heck, folks even buy the high mileage ones, so yours should sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miles are fairly low but you don't mention if it's a stick or automatic. If it looks and runs nice otherwise, expect to get in the $1500 range +/- a few hundred.
It's automatic. That's kind of what I was thinking too. Hopefully to another Insight fan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't personally need another Insight, I have three. But, 114,000 is pretty low mileage and would probably be attractive to some member. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. You could list it down in the buy/sell area of the forum, with some pictures, description and an asking price. Heck, folks even buy the high mileage ones, so yours should sell.
Ok thanks! I will try that!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a grid charger but not a discharger. The charger worked great at first but now it won't hold a charge for more than a couple days.
A discharger can be made from a lightbulb. But I am not the guy to guide you through this. I have the grid charger and discharger boxes to do it for me because I am just not savvy enough to not screw it up. I'd hope there is someone in your area who can at least try this to see how bad your IMA really is. If the Prolong package can do it for you you could consider that as an option. https://hybridautomotive.com/ Many folks besides me use these and swear by them. Hopefully someone local to you can run your Insight through the charge-discharge cycles and see what happens.

It would be a shame to let go of the car if the problem can be solved this easily.

Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Expert is nearby

There is a guy in Madison, WI that will offer you plenty of options with your IMA system and battery.
email: [email protected]
phone: 608-729-4082
homepage: EV Powers | Hybrid Battery Service & Repair. Prius Insight Civic. 56 Corry St, Madison, WI
Eric has posted many times on this website.

I would have him bypass the battery.

I would not have him remove the battery. The battery might recover for awhile just from not being used. The battery might be good for a core charge later.

You might be able to bypass the battery yourself. I cannot find the website with instructions.

I have a 2000 with bypassed battery, and a 2003 with a functioning battery.

I think that bypassed might be better.

I have not used or met Eric, but I appreciate his availability.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I’m in Indiana and would be interested in your car as is. Give me a call.
Thanks
Gerald
317-441-3231

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
That's not a bad idea but I don't think I want to do that. I will have to pass an emmissions test eventually and it is crazy slow without the IMA.

I live in Illinois. 114,000 miles. Condition is otherwise pretty good. It's got it's issues (I can detail them if you're interested in it) but it's clean and doesn't have any other mechanical problems. It's also red which I've heard is rare for the '06!
Just keep in mind that you are selling a problem, not a car. The new owner will likely have to deal with the same things you're confronted with.

The ethical price is what YOU would pay for it in its current state.

There is a guy in Madison, WI that will offer you plenty of options with your IMA system and battery.
email: [email protected]
phone: 608-729-4082
homepage: EV Powers | Hybrid Battery Service & Repair. Prius Insight Civic. 56 Corry St, Madison, WI
Eric has posted many times on this website.

I would have him bypass the battery.

I would not have him remove the battery. The battery might recover for awhile just from not being used. The battery might be good for a core charge later.

You might be able to bypass the battery yourself. I cannot find the website with instructions.

I have a 2000 with bypassed battery, and a 2003 with a functioning battery.

I think that bypassed might be better.

I have not used or met Eric, but I appreciate his availability.
OP clearly indicated passing emissions is required. Bypass is not an option.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Oh no,,Gerald buying insights again,,come and get Em,,,I got a silver for a workhorse car,,runs good ,needs brakes up front and new hub bearing,,asking 1900'oo. Consider 1700 for a freind or member on site,,,drive away car,,

·
Registered
827 Posts
No body loves an Insight more than me.I take her on long drives deep in the sultry nights inMenphis. I give her bubble baths rub her down with big hand fulls of wax take her to the finest station just because I can.i tickle her tread with an air chuck an she will always have a place with a roof.l love the smell of aluminum in the morning!

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
This Is not an auction site.

You may discuss the actual car here, but forum rules require sale items to be posted in the For Sale section, following the rules there. This includes posting an asking price.

Rainsux (Moderator)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you actually like the car and want to fix it, do a deep discharge. Read up on it, pretty easy.

It sounds like you no longer care and just want it gone so I'm not going to type anything else unless you seem interested.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts