Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is s dumb question, but does the insight have a timing belt or chain, and if it is a belt when should it be replaced?? Im at 110,000 km now, and my last car, a Tercel has a belt and it went around 120,000km

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It is a chain. I do not know the service interval.

Addition aftrer DGate's message: Chains stretches with wear and results bad valve timming. A rough idle, lower power and higher gas consumption are indications of chain wear. Other problems can give a similar result.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Timing Belt or chain ?

The Insight has a timing chain which usually means much longer intervals between changing if there even is a service requirement.
Timing chains usually give a noisy warning before failing and can sometimes go on for quite some time rattling before giving up.
Belts on the other hand give no warning they just break with catastropic results for the engine and your pocket :( (bent valves,gouged pistons and possible broken cams)that is why the replacement interval should be strictly adehered too.
I despise cam belts and think they should be phased out.

DGate

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well damage depends on what type of engine the car runs. Interference engines (where the valves actually open into the cumbustion chamber) will be destroyed by a broken timing belt. Non-interference engines will just sputter as the cams take off independent of the crankshaft speed. I'm not sure which one the Insight uses though...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Your owners manual lists all the maintenance requirements.
There are a lot of normal things that need to be done to make sure you car is reliable for a long long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Timing belts

I (a current Insight owner) have an '86 Isuzu Impulse, turbo edition that had the timing belt break twice. Both times the front cam bearing siezed from lack of lubrication or too much tension on the belt. Since much of the compression was done by the turbo (I assume) the piston did not travel as high as in the non-turbo version and so I had no damage either time. Apparently it was a "non-interference" engine. The compression ratio of the turbo was less than the standard version. I'm glad to hear the Insight has a chain and I bet with only 3 cylinder's worth of valves to work, the wear on the chain is less than a 4 or 6 cylinder engine.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
not something you should have to worry about on this car. Something else will likely destroy the engine before the timing chain does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts