Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due for maintainence at 123,000 miles and the dealer is suggesting at least a look at the timing chain. Thought they lasted much longer than timing belts. Anyone know what the average life of a timing chain is?

Also have the SRS light come on.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Chuck; Timing chains are normally replaced during engine overhaul. They last a long time. I would say no, don't spend any extra $$ having them check it, unless it is making noise or obviously out of adjustment.

SRS means, of course, supplemental restraint system. This includes airbags, seat belts, and tensioners. Insightful Trekker probably can tell you specifics about the warning lights or any obdII codes it sets.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Billy said:
Insightful Trekker probably can tell you specifics about the warning lights or any obdII codes it sets.
The SRS sub system isn't OBDII. Its Honda propritary. If the light stays on it means that the airbags _may_ not deploy in an accident that they otherwise should (not all accidents should or would cause them to deploy).

As with all computer systems glitches happen. Retrieve and record the codes and reset the system. If the same code(s) recur in a reasonable length of time further inspection / testing is indicated.

But without the codes that's all I can say on the topic. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple of months ago, I hit a heavy box in the garage and it might have jarred a wire to the SRS - speculation.

Yeah, I'm kind of suspicious about the timing chain needing a serous look.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
it might have jarred a wire to the SRS - speculation.
IMO missed the broad side of the barn with that guess. ;)

Delta Flyer said:
Yeah, I'm kind of suspicious about the timing chain needing a serous look.
A timing chain should routinely be lent a serious _ear_. ;) Once any abnormal "chatter" is heard replacement should follow ASAP :!:

A "visual" inspection can be somewhat accomplished during the routine 105K valve adjustment interval. But its not normally as "good" as an auditory one. Still, you'd want someone that knows what to look for to take a peek during the process.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
timing chains

i talked to my honda mechanic (dave) and he said it will start making noise before it goes. i trust this guy and i'm old school. and he said no one knows how long this series of engine (1 liter) has gone if properly maintained. and there are two chains, the other is for the oil pump so replace that too.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
Rangeman;
Have your mechanic recheck his thinking.

The Insight only has one chain. The oil pump is a "rotor" type driven by the crankshaft. :?

HTH.............Willie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts