Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my 2001 Insight (Automatic) in for service (139k miles) at the dealership and they told me they recommend "Refueling" the Timing Chain because it seems to be leaking a bit. For $490. I can't find anything online about "refueling" a timing chain. Is this a bunch of baloney or something I need to take into consideration?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
are you sure they said "refueling" ? Because if they said "resealing" then it sorta makes sense if a little oil was slowly leaking for the timing chain area of the engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's what's thrown me off. I guess if the Timing chain cover and gasket seal is eroded or broken then oil could be leaking and thus it would make sense for it to be re-sealed, but the "refueling" is what brought my B.S. antenna to full attention -- that and the $490 pricetag.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with the dealership -- and yes, you're right, I did mis-hear him. He said that they would replace the gasket and re-seal it (instead of refuel it). After questioning him on it though, he did concede that it is not really leaking oil just yet but that it might start leaking soon since it is an older Insight. I politely declined the service. If I am going to have this done, I bet I can have someone do it for a couple hundred dollars at the most, given that the gasket itself is only $15 on ebay.

Thanks for the reply!

·
7,259 Posts
Dealerships are evil. I'm now recommending everyone avoid them like the plague. They're a complete ripoff, as you just found out.

$490 to replace the valve cover gasket.. LOL!

What a load of horse crap. The part is like $11 and it would take about ten minutes. Maybe 15 if you had never operated a wrench before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts