Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed the oil on my '04 Insight 2x now. I've noticed oil seepage on the oil pan, coming from what looks to be the head/timing cover seam. It's not a big dripping leak, just seepage, but it has leaked enough over time to drip onto the airflow panel behind the front air dam.

I Googled the issue and got a complete repair procedure from an independent shop in Berekley. Looks like the entire powertrain has to come out, the head and oil pan have to be removed and the timing cover removed & resealed with grey RTV. They claim it can't be repaired in-chassis. WOW! Has anyone else noticed this or had it repaired? They claim this is a common issue with the Insight 3-banger.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out and see if that's the spot wher the oil's coming from. The area around and below the head gasket/timing cover seam apears to be the wettest. Looks like it's been seeping for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
That link is to a problem I had and solved (with help :D ) PM me if more details would help

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I looked it over again today and can see it's not the black plug. I'm going to spray the area with degreaser tomorrow and try to pinpoint where the seepage is coming from. At one point it's leaked enough to drip onto the cover plate under the oil pan, but there's nothing fresh. Wondering if this isn't just the result of a sloppy oil fill somewhere in the car's past.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts