Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all
I just got the idea recently to create some hand made Honda insight mk1 model car key chains by printing them on a resin based 3d printer. The keychains will already come assembled with a chain and keyring. At this point I was thinking about creating them to be about 1 3/4" long because I don't feel that is too big or two small. The quality will be similar to that of injection molding so no layer lines as seen on traditional fdm 3d printers. They will be just one flat color all around (grey) but can probably be painted by you if you choose to do so. Ideally all the body lines / panel gaps will be visible. The biggest problem right now is getting a 3d model. As free to download models of the quality I would like are unavailable ( as far as I know they are all either don't have body lines / are very jagged ) I will either have to either A. buy a 3d model (not as cheap as it sounds and still may not be the quality I would like) B. Edit current models to be suitable or C. 3d scan a car.

The purpose of this post is to gauge what the demand would be and what people think is a reasonable price to charge for these would be before investing too much time in the project.

If this doesn't work out Something else I've been thinking about is a custom transparent key fob cover in order to show the circuits of the fob. Another question how common is this style of fob?

If you are interested either reply to the post or pm me something simple like "interested"

I can try to answer any questions

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
or C. 3d scan a car.
I'd personally be most interested in this part of the project.
Let me know what you would charge for a copy of that scan.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
I'm in!

Sam

·
Registered
60 Posts
very intriguing! if not exorbitant, I'm in.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Interested.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man.. i need to get a solid 24hrs on the 3d scanning equipment at work so i can get a high quality model for CFD/FEA for drag reduction... the scanner is good to a few micron/sub 0.001". The file would be massive. I couldnt scan the underside of the car sadly... Maybe rent some time on the lift.. id LOVE to have a full scan with underbody. But not going to happen w covid.

Im stuck at home, wife and I potentially w COVID.. So work doesnt want me near. Itll take some serious facors with the wife to kill a full weekend on the scan too.

If you get the scan another way, let me know. Im interested in the files. I don't see myself being able to do this for several months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacement shells are readily available so I'm not sold on the grey idea, but the transparent idea is unique. No point in trying to replicate the original fob, If you have the ability for such tight tolerances, just scan the PCB itself, reverse the face direction of the mesh, add a solidify modifier, split it into two sides, add tabs for the screws and print. That'd be super cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts