Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm staying in the BW hotel for Insight fest and will be touring about a bit visiting museums/restaurants etc.

What's the score with tipping, how, when, why, how much etc etc..

We don't really do that over here like you do...

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Workers in the service industries in the U.S. make a large portion of their income from tips, and employers factor that in and keep wages relatively low, so tipping is important. Keep a good supply of small bills just for this purpose.

Restaurant waiters/waitresses typically get a 15% tip for acceptable service, +/- about 5% from terrible to wonderful. If I get stiffed, I leave 5%! With the continental breakfast at the BW, you're doing most everything yourself, so maybe a dollar on the table if you are feeling generous.

Later: Restaurants are more than happy to have tips added to a credit card bill - which I usually do.

Fast food places don't generally encourage tips.

The maid in your motel should be tipped each night, to insure it goes to the right person. Two dollars if you do a good job of tidying up yourself, about $5, if you are really messy. If you share a room, I'd think a bit extra from the second person.

If you had a real concierge, as opposed to a desk clerk, then $5 plus depending on how much help you ask for. I've never seen desk clerks tipped, but maybe I am wrong on that. I don't think there will be one at the BW.

If you use a shuttle, a couple of dollars. For a cab or Uber, 15% or more depending on service level.

All the service industry in American has their hand out, but my experience is that Europe is the same or worse. Gotta tip to use the Water closet in Europe ;)

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Here is a "tip" for you. Tip according to the service.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hers a tip,15 percent at restaurants,that's it,,your not staying long enough at a hotel to leave a tip there,,spare change buck or two max,cabs and uber you won't need Peter,we will shuttle you around ,,anybody flying in will get a ride by me or someone,,I don't want too you taking a cab or uber,,I'll even lend you my car when we are at the show if you want get out to a museum..

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hers a tip,15 percent at restaurants,that's it,,your not staying long enough at a hotel to leave a tip there,,spare change buck or two max,cabs and uber you won't need Peter,we will shuttle you around ,,anybody flying in will get a ride by me or someone,,I don't want you taking a cab or uber,,I'll even lend you my car when we are at the show if you want get out to a museum..

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
So you're saying that the person who cleans your room doesn't deserve to get paid if you only stay a short time? I guess you're right. Most of us really like to work for free. I bet you tear up your pay checks.

Sam

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So you're saying that the person who cleans your room doesn't deserve to get paid if you only stay a short time? I guess you're right. Most of us really like to work for free. I bet you tear up your pay checks.

Sam
Maids are paid by the motel. If you learn to read I said loose change or couple dollers...its a best western not a marriot.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Maids are paid by the motel. If you learn to read I said loose change or couple dollers...its a best western not a marriot.
Your posts are often hard to follow. I thought you said "don't tip the hotel maid if you only stay a short time, but give loose change or a buck or two to cab and uber drivers."

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I wonder why my DOCTOR won't allow tipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts