Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you saw my commute you would understand why a CVT was a must-have. I've had the car 3 weeks and am doing great - mileage over 55. I've gotten from my home to the office (36 miles, mostly downhill) over 60.

Lots of tips for the manual transmission about full throttle through gears 1 and 2 then shifting up to 5th right away. What do you suggest for the CVT car?

Still learning this great little car. So far I love it. I don't miss my Mustang a bit. This Friday I will fill up the tank. Thats 2 weeks on 10 gallons.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Most important is to pump up the OEM tires.

From driving now both a CVT a bit in addition to the 5-speeds, all I can really say is to watch the instantaneous mpg as much as possible and try to keep it high. It isn't such a binary indicator for lean-burn like the 5-speed, but it's the most important indicator.

I don't know if anyone has collected data on things like warm air mods for the CVTs.

It certainly would not hurt to at least block off the lower air intake space when it gets cold, as that just runs cold air over the engine and makes it hard for it to warm up. I don't know how sensitive it is to outside temp like the 5-speed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a good weekend

this weekend, using lots of "pulse and glide" and coasting in neutral I averaged 65 mpg and went from my home in the mountains 45 miles to Mission Bay (on the coast) at better than 74 mpg. 65 for the round trip.

Driving slow (around 60 on freeway)
Not using the IMA very much. Accelerating hard from lights, then feathering throttle
Coasting in neutral as much as possible
Tires pumped up to 45 front 42 rear
not using drafting very much (too dangerous)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: a good weekend

jimb517 said:
this weekend, using lots of "pulse and glide" and coasting in neutral I averaged 65 mpg and went from my home in the mountains 45 miles to Mission Bay (on the coast) at better than 74 mpg. 65 for the round trip.

Driving slow (around 60 on freeway)
Not using the IMA very much. Accelerating hard from lights, then feathering throttle
Coasting in neutral as much as possible
Tires pumped up to 45 front 42 rear
not using drafting very much (too dangerous)
You were coasting in neutral with a CVT?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes

Yes, I coasted in neutral with my CVT. You think that is a problem?

Just push the automatic trans up from "D" to "N" seems harmless.

IMT does not recharge the battery, mileage goes WAY up and the Insight will coast forever.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: yes

jimb517 said:
Yes, I coasted in neutral with my CVT. You think that is a problem?
I am certainly no expert on cars, so take that into account while you read my response. :) However, I was always under the impression that it was bad to coast in neutral with an automatic transmission. That's why, when you tow an automatic car, you're supposed to elevate the drive wheels. Perhaps other people in the forum know whether this is really true though.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Most automatics have their fluid pump is driven by the engine. Turning the drive wheels rotate many internal transmission parts, some of which will NOT have sufficient lubrication (since the engine is not running and the transmissions pump isn't either) and additional wear does occur. Not as rapidly as an engine without sufficient lubrication which is why limited speed and distance is allowed when towing an AT with the wheels on the ground.

This is just the general rule of thumb and applies to most all transmissions. However, a CVT may be an exception and or have different rules and limitations. Check your owner's manual for the specific model and limitations (disclaimer for various transmissions ;) )

HTH! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read the other thread, thanks

Yes, I've been coasting in neutral down some big hills, attaining speeds over 70 mph, with the ICE on and CVT in neutral. When I get going too fast I speed the RPM up to about 2300 and slip it back into D for some regen braking. Don't care if coasting is illegal, so is going 70 on that hill.

Looking at the FCD in liters/100 km mode I can see that the ICE is burning some fuel in idle. In regen braking mode it is burning none. But even with that fuel burn MPG is higher because speeds get so much higher.

I think if I could find that magic place on the gas pedal where fuel burn was near 0 and there was no regen MPG would be even better and no risk of tranny damage. Not that I think this would ever damage the tranny anyways since the ICE is running at idle and I match RPM prior to shifting. Besides I bought the extended warranty - 120,000 miles and 6 years.

I've only used FAS when stopped in traffic inching along towards the red lights and it doesn't shut down (but should).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new personal record

today I made it from my house to the freeway at 81.1 mpg (20 miles) and from my house all the way to the office (34 miles) at 68.1 mpg.

My personal best in my new 2005 CVT Insight.

Serious downhill on the home - office route. Long wait in traffic to get on the freeway. No drafting, no motor-off coasting. Friday-light traffic, San Diego, Valley Center to Claremont Mesa.

My average per tank has gone from 51.7 (first week) to 54.6 (second tank lasted 2 weeks) to 58.9 (2 more weeks). Lifetime for 2500 miles is now at 53.5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts