1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i owned my "new to me" 2k insight for about 2 months now

i love it

i know that OMA battery life is very subjective due to weather/driving style/terrain etc.........

i have been extremely careful during accelerations and regular driving to use as little IMA as possible

as a result, my SOC meter is 99% of the time one tick from fully charged. i'm rarely 2 ticks from fully charged.

my question is, for good battery health, would it be good sometimes to "use some more of the battery" ie drain it a little from time to time????

just wondering

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
i have done 60k miles in mine over the last 2.5 years total mileage is 112k. I have driven at both extremes averages of 103mpg and around 50mpg (when really pressing on). I have fully discharged the battery on numerous occasions and i havent had a recal for ages. My SOC will now (on an easy run) hit 20 bars (i.e. full). I like to think my battery is in good condition. I think you should drain the battery every few weeks as battery life is supposed to be extended if they are charged/discharged on a regular basis

Cheers
John

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't agree

These batteries are not NiCADs. Minimize the total number of charge / discharge cycles for maximum battery life. Stay out of assist as much as possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I always try to park my Insight in the shade or in a garage (even if it means parking a half a mile away from where I work every day) to keep everything cool. I don't know if that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The car limits full charge to 80%, and empty to 20% so the top and bottom of the SOC bargraph represents those points, and will not shorten the battery life if you work the full charge range. Almost all of the life shortening effects happen outside of those limits.
This is of course in a perfect world. Recals seem to be related to this 80%20% range getting skewed, possibly due to some memory effect.
I am going on 118K with no recals, and I run full 80% 20% cycles several times a day.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If your Insight has not been updated - DO NOT LET YOUR 12-VOLT BATTERY GO DEAD (think this is models 2000/2001).

The glitch allows the hybrid battery pack to go dead trying to save the 12-volt battery - bad, bad.

Better yet, get this updated if you have not already done so to avoid this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
different IMA behavior

I have 2 Insights. On one of them (a CVT '05) when I travel 28 miles to work and back, it may discharge the IMA to perhaps 50% on the SOC meter, but recovers by the time I get home.
The second one (a CVT '06) will discharge to perhaps 10% on the SOC meter, in other words it discharges more rapidly and recharges more rapidly also. Is this due to the fact that the SOC is a relative scale of sorts? Or am I really going down to close to 20% full in the '06, vs only 50% in the '05 vehicle? Should I have the rapidly discharging one checked out? (they are both configured with CVT, as well as the same tire/wheel setup)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rob, my guess would be that your '06 has a battery problem. Seems surprising given how new it is, but that's exactly the experience I had with my '01. Battery both charged & discharged at a fairly rapid rate, which I thought was normal given that I'd just bought the car. After the IMA light came on and Honda replaced the pack, it now discharges (and recharges) much more slowly. Almost as if the "bad" pack was half the size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts