Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been visting this site regularly for the last couple months.

I have been considering buying a used insight with about 30 to 40,000 miles on it.

Does anyone have any tips/advise on what to look for when buying used insights.

thanks for your help

fuzzy

·
Registered
303 Posts
there are a lot of threads in here...

...discussing Insight purchases and Insight care and feeding.

I spent three evenings just reading and putting in search criteria to answer questions. Mostly what I remember was checking the LMPG on my car when I bought it to see what kind of driving it had been subjected to, and getting a rate quote ahead of time to make sure they didn't pull the "Two seaters are sports cars!" bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
buying used insight

I bought mine on ebay for 13000; 10k miles and pristing shape, 2001 blue boy. I have searched all over the internet and ebay seems to be the best.

I feel that if the stereo system has been radically upgraded then a kid has owned or been the primary driver. I would look for middle age owner who uses it for commuter or second car. I would look for one that has not had any alterations or aftermarket additions.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Fuzzymutt:

___Although my post is a bit of self-promotion, Rick (Arizona Rick) has multiple methods for checking body panel VIN numbers to verify an Insight was not in an accident. A missing Honda insignia on the center - lower - front of the hood is a classic example of a frontal accident.

___As for the mechanicals, the higher the lmpg, the gentler it has been driven as well as showing a mostly highway vs. more then likely a mostly city or high speed highway life. I would recommend picking up one from the Northern areas of the country as they will have less chance of having pack problems later in life due to the heat. Look at the SOC gauge. If it is in the 18 - 19 bar range when you boot it up (turn the key to on, not start), you have a better chance of owning a great Insight. If the SOC is sitting at 16 bars or less when you test drive it, it may not have been treated as gently as you may have wished. A Honda certified warranty for 7 years/100,000 miles most certainly doesn’t hurt either. I picked up my own Honda Certified Insight up from a Honda dealership in Sioux Falls, SD (I also spoke with the original owner) and had all the Honda service records to review. Its original lmpg was 79.9 mpg @ 28,421 miles which I reset upon driving off the lot … The ensuing fuel economy and distance world records set is what one might call history ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2j4b1rv2][email protected][/email:2j4b1rv2]

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: buying used insight

BillClark said:
I feel that if the stereo system has been radically upgraded then a kid has owned or been the primary driver. ....
Is a new MP3 head unit, new front speakers, and an amplified subwoofer "radical"? Must be the kid in me... :wink:

And do we have any real stats as to geographic variations in battery problems, versus a few anecdotes? It gets pretty hot here, and mine seems fine after over 4 years. Whoops, that's another anecdote, isn't it?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well upgraded headunit and speakers would be a mod most Insight owners probably would do if it's a daily driver. As for a sub, it's probably a kid. I'm 19 and don't even have a sub...but I do have some nice speakers and headunit. If it sounds good, then it is probably alright - maybe their an audiophile. If the bass is just booming like crazy, then ask some questions...

LMPG is a very good indicator of highway or easy driving. Ask the owner about the % highway driving and compare that with the LMPG. In Florida, we get over 64 mpg driving 70% highway with the A/C on most of the time. Drive it around and see what kind of mileage you get.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: buying used insight

Hi Holicow:
Holicow said:
And do we have any real stats as to geographic variations in battery problems, versus a few anecdotes? It gets pretty hot here, and mine seems fine after over 4 years. Whoops, that's another anecdote, isn't it?
___Sure, just ask Arizona Rick :(

___All: Another suggestion is to ask about the target Insight’s pack longevity directly. Has it ever had a recal or how the little beauty performs “on the pack”? After that, ask about the performance with 20 bars of assist. If they answer, that is another “issue” to consider.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3ayutvwi][email protected][/email:3ayutvwi]

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I suppose the stereo upgrade question is a matter of taste. I have an upgraded head unit, door speakers, and Wayland Shoebox subwoofer. I don't consider it radical and I'm certainly not a kid (perhaps one at heart).

Battery SOC can also be cranked up by idling the car at 3000+ rpm. LMPG can provide some indication of vehicle treatment, but remember that it can be easily reset and used to deceive the unsuspecting buyer.

Clean and detailed vehicle records are key; they'll help to establish trust and should reduce the possibility of deliberate deceptions like I've mentioned.

Also, get the car inspected by a trusted third party.

·
Registered
71 Posts
radical

I suppose the definition of radical would be the key word here. Looks like I might have ruffled some feathers. :roll:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
....LMPG can provide some indication of vehicle treatment, but remember that it can be easily reset and used to deceive the unsuspecting buyer.....
Right. Check the trip MPG, and if there is more than a couple hundred miles, that should give a somewhat accurate picture of the type of driving.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___A recently reset lmpg should to be able to be detected after a 50 mile drive or so … either high or low. If you ask for gas receipts and the guy has them including a spreadsheet following mileage and receipts, you are walking on water so to speak ;)

___Tim, most don’t know about the 3000 RPM trick as seen by the many low SOC dash pics up on E-Bay. The answer to the question about 20 bars of assist should tell much as most sellers will tell you how “fast” the Insight is. If they go on and on about the performance afterwards, you might have a future problem … You could ask about how low they have seen the SOC or where does it normally hang in their daily drive as well.

___Holicow, good point about checking the trip A and B as well as segment and the odometer/lmpg for mismatches or matches in this case …

___With all of the above questions in rapid fire fashion, you should be able to catch all but the best of fibbers … Most however won’t stoop to actually lying in a casual conversation about selling ones car, I am sure.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:20jnn5p8][email protected][/email:20jnn5p8]

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
xcel said:
most don’t know about the 3000 RPM trick as seen by the many low SOC dash pics up on E-Bay.
Also there are a lot of low-MPG dashes as well, so it looks like most aren't bothering to deceive. But it's still a possibility. Caveat emptor!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Tim:

___Those that post their low mileage dashes are of course receiving lower mileage and thus gives you an idea as to how the car was treated … or mis-treated depending on your thoughts of the subject.

___The good thing is that when you see one of Rick Reese’s or my dash pics posted into the few unscrupulous Insight - E-Bay pages, you know it isn’t the owner’s own achievements and should raise another flag about that particular Insight’s recent or past history.

___A few questions to the owner as well a VIN check from Car-Fax and your local Honda dealership (service records) should help alleviate most question’s about the target Insight’s history.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2yig60wi][email protected][/email:2yig60wi]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts