Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've searched the forum but couldn't find any useful information on types of tire chains. It looks like another strong Sierra winter is on its way and I need a set of tire chains/cables for the insight. Does anyone have suggestions as to what style/brand/type of chain or cable to use? I'm guessing that cables would be better for such a small tire, but I've never owned them. I've seen some "spider web" style cables before on another vehicle and they looked interesting, but i don't know who makes them. Any thoughts?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Tire chains/cables are only for deep snow.
They should not be used at high speed or on plowed roads.
If they are only installed in the front they will not help you stay alive in icy hilly roads because the car will easly spin out on corners and during braking.

That said, nobody uses these them in southern Ontario so I can't help you with the details. I do know they help in the mountains when the snow is very deep.

Tire chains/cables allow you to accelerate and drive in deep snow.
Winter tires allow you to accelerate as well as stop and turn much more safely in snow, ice, slush, wet and dry roads.

Those that live in the mountains where it snows should use winter tires, possibly studded winter tires and carry tire chains/cables just in case they need encounter very deep snow. IF that happens the Insight might just get stuck on top of the snow anyways.

Just things to thing about,
sorry I couldn't answer your specific questions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Guillermo!

California/Nevada require you to carry and wear tire chains when the mountain passes become snow covered. I'd prefer not to use them if I could, but "the man" requires it. :?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm sure all tire stores in the rockies would carry them.
In fact my friend had to buy tire cables for his rental car when he went to Oregon last year, he bought them at a Walmart there.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I use just ordinary cable-type chains, such as you can find at Pep Boys, Kragen, or wherever. The only problem is that it's not easy to attach the clip for the loose cable end on the inner side of the wheel - especially on a dark & stormy night...

As for chains being of use only in deep snow, that's not my experience. First, the Insight isn't a car that will go through deep snow at all. More than 5 or 6 inches, and you're stuck. What you get quite often hereabouts is snow that's been packed to a hard surface by traffic, and chains do quite well on that.

Unlike the Rocky Mountains or the northern US & Canada, in the Sierra most people live & travel where snow is a transient thing. The occasional storm with roads cleared by the next day, or ski trips, are about all they encounter. Snow tires thus aren't a common thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts