Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I need new tires on my 2001 5-spd. I have looked through the vast (and generally very helpful) info on this site but I haven't found anything very definitive about the selection of tires. Costco, my tire source for many years, has nothing skinnier than Michelins at 185 so I guess I will need to look elsewhere. But what should I look for? Mileage is important but comfort is good too.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Stateside the choices of LRR tires appears to be VERY limited. Europeans apper to have several more choices in LRR tires. AFAIK and from the many threads on this topic all others (available here, USA) but the OEM Bridgestones have a negative MPG impact.

See:

Tire Comparison Test
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 38&start=0

IIRC there is one Michelin that reportedly has the least MPG reduction 1/4 - 1/2 of the above. There was one thread on the topic in the last year or so, sorry I don't have the link.

HTH! :)

·
Administrator
12,321 Posts
Tyres

I concur with the advice given by others, and in my own experience can confirm there are significant differences in mpg and RR between tyres.

In the US the OEM Bridgestone RE92 would be my choice.

In the UK the OEM Bridgestone 391 (equivalent to RE92) would be the choice.

The oem tyres give the best mpg, especially when pumped up to 45-50 psi. I think they handle fine.

Peter

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Polipe,

Greetings. When I replaced the tires on the Insight, I got them at Costco. Not sure if they carry them anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Resist. My Costco (San Diego) said they can't order them. I will ask again, maybe this time not on a busy Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Costco doesn't carry Bridgestone tires any more. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pardon my ignorance but it's been 30+ years since I had tires mounted by someone I didn't buy them from. Are there recommended places to go for such things?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just purchased a set from TireRack last week. I chose the cheapest delivery of FedEx 3 day Express Saver and they were on my doorstep in two days. You can enter your zip and the site will list recommended installers in your area. I checked with the local store that also sells Bridgestone and they would install them. I am taking the tires 70 miles in the morning to have them installed and filled with 60 lbs of nitrogen. Mounted and balanced for $12 each and filled with nitrogen for $5 each. I also questioned them about putting 60 lbs. in a tire rated for 44psi max and they said, "No problem".

Sam's Club can also get the tires, but they were higher than TireRack plus installation.

See: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5570

·
Registered
338 Posts
well....

my last three sets were from tire rack.com.....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Polipe said:
Are there recommended places to go for such things?
I've used Tire Pros, but any place that sells tires will also mount tires you bring to them, such at Sears, Goodyear and the like.

·
Registered
466 Posts
actually, lots of places are refusing to even WORK on tires they did not sell. very annoying. they seem to have some liability issues. :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
You could also go to your local Tech school that has an automotive program (I used to work at one, and they did a lot of tire swapping). I also have a friend who works at a dealership, and $20 has always gotten mine changed out and balanced. I guess there are advantages to working in the "good ole' South".
robert

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I was shopping for summer performance tires a few years ago, so I got quotes from online stores as well as local stores. The best price I got was online and the savings was more then enough to compensate paying someone to mount the tires. So I phoned my local Honda Dealer and politely asked for a quote on these specific tires. They said they could order them but quoted me the highest price. I took one breath and simply asked "I can order those tires for a lot less money from an online store, i'm willing to pay you to install them if you let me get them delivered to your shop." The person working at the Honda service department said " no problem, get them shipped here and we'll install them for you".
That was very convenient and the price was reasonable.

That's my story, If your lucky it could happen to you too!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Polipe said:
Pardon my ignorance but it's been 30+ years since I had tires mounted by someone I didn't buy them from. Are there recommended places to go for such things?
Should you buy them from Tire Rack, they have a list of installers on their web site who have agreed to mount tires purchased from Tire Rack. Just type in your zip code and it will list the nearby installers as well as their installation prices. It does not, however, guarantee the installer will be competent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Finally mounted new(used) tires

I got 4 OEM Bridestones for $65 from a member here..They look like new..I did the mounting myself..Using a friend's el cheapo Nothern Tools $79 mounter...Hardest part as always is getting the old tire off..clean the bead with Scotch pad...then the new ones popped right on ....mostly without tools!...The key was using WD40 to lubricate the bead and rim...

The tires appear very well balanced ...I left the old weights in place,theorizing that the rim may be the primary imbalance offender,and today,at 90mph,there were no wobbles,vibration,or issues..

Good enough for me...hopefully good for another 95K!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whenever I have talked to my Honda dealer about finding a better price online (for genuine Honda parts) he has matched the base price - saving me any shipping cost.
Can someone fill me in on why nitrogen in a tire? How about helium?
Jeremiah

1 - 20 of 24 Posts