Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from a noob:
I adore my 2002 Insight; it's my first used car. (Had a beloved '83 CRX before that.) Have 168K on it and am looking to have it for a few more years.

I'm really not thrilled with the handling on my Potenzas. It seems options are really limited with the 14-inch rim. I heard good things about Yokohama and Toyo, but ES 100 and T1 R don't seem to be available anymore....

In addition to daily driving (mebbe 15mi RT for work and a few miles around town), I drive VA to NY every 3-4 weeks, pushing 600mi RT.

Do I have to live with the Bridgestones/Potenzas? Should I be hyper-vigilant on alignment/rotation/air to help improve performance?

I will pay more for great handling b/c i drive so much on longer treks -- mostly at night, and through the winter.

In case I have to end up ordering them myself and having my mechanic put 'em on, I need to be certain that what I'm getting is gonna work for this model. (In case it matters, I'm in Northern Va.)

Thanks for any advice.

--Anne

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Hi irishgal09,

Welcome to the forum. There have been A LOT of threads on different tires here. Please search for them. It will most likely answer any and all questions you have regarding your options. I will note for you, however (as you will also find from searching), that ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE RE92 will cause a rather significant MPG drop.

Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi irishgal09,

Welcome to the forum. There have been A LOT of threads on different tires here. Please search for them. It will most likely answer any and all questions you have regarding your options. I will note for you, however (as you will also find from searching), that ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE RE92 will cause a rather significant MPG drop.

Good luck,
Bryan
thanks, bryan. i did do a quick search before posting; the info i found was mainly about second gen insights or strictly the bridgestones. but i'll look again....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tires

I realize everyone has an opinion regarding tires.

I didn't think a 3 mpg penalty was significant when looking at around 60 mpg, and the trade off in ride, handling, and safety was worth it.

The Re92s were the worst tires I have ever had on a car, especially in sloppy conditions, and I couldn't wait to switch to 185/60 all-season rated tires (Firestone 500s at the time). To me it was well worth it.

I value mpg's, but not above everything else. Just as with a motorcycle, tires make a world of difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Hi, Anne. Welcome to our group!

Here's my take. Members have tried tires other than the RE-92s, and all have experienced a loss in gas mileage. But some have liked the noise, ride, and handling of other tires and are willing to take a permanent mileage hit. I don't understand this.

I bought an Insight for one purpose. Gas mileage. Not handling. I have a Miata for that. Not speed. I have a Miata for that (turbocharged). Not for looks or top-down fun. I have a Miata for that. Not comfort. My wife has a minivan for that. Many of us have fun, interesting OTIs (Other Than Insight), yet we drive our Insights most of the time because of the gas mileage. Since mileage is my goal, I wouldn't do anything to the car that would make the it less, like different tires. Honda designed a car for us with no compromises in gas mileage, so who am I to do something to make it worse?

The RE-92 might not do some things well, but it is the best for mileage, so I'll buy them until something better is produced. I have a new set on the car and another new set in the garage. I keep them inflated to 55 lbs, which makes the ride a little stiffer but helps the mileage. I don't see a need to have this car if you're going to accept less than the best mileage you can get.

I'm not sure I understand the term "handling" as it relates to long trips, unless the trips are on back roads through the mountains or something. Long trips are usually on an Interstate, and that's the place for the RE92. Straight, smooth roads where you can go slow and get great mileage. To me "handling" is performance in the twisties, where the Insight does not excel.

Decide what tire pressure suits you, whatever tires you get, and check it often to make sure it is it is supposed to be. The Insight is not bad about getting out of alignment, so don't worry too much about that unless it starts pulling to one side or something. There is nothing special about these tires and wheels, so anybody can mount and balance them.

While I'm at it, check your spare. I've checked three of them lately and all have been flat or almost flat.

Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Because a scooter doesn't protect you from the elements?

I would ride a Honda Rebel as my daily if it could somehow not be cold as anything in winter, hour as anything in summer and soaking wet in the rain.

But it can't so I drive an insight.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Right. Ultimate mileage would be to walk everywhere. Apples and oranges. My Insight is a safe, all weather vehicle capable of long trips. A scooter is not. And the Insight beats the mileage of almost all motorcycles and many scooters. I'd love to have a motorcycle like a Goldwing, but I just can't justify it. A scooter might be fun around the neighborhood, but not enough fun to actually buy one.

Sam

·
Registered
24 Posts
Edwina and I both have scooters, the pcx125 gets 110mpg, my kymco 250Ri doesn't get that but I can drive it on the highway at 75mph. Insight and kymco are probably close in mileage but never check it cause I don't want to be say :p

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Irish: welcome and congrats on owning a technological gem.

You pose a good question that has many answeres, but Sam (Rainsux) hits the point right on.

There are other tires that provide a more 'comfortable' ride, but the re92 is the tire for mpg.

I bought my Insights for the same reason Sam did, mpg. I'm one of the owners willing to accept some road noise and a stiffer ride. Fits my needs for my G1's, but that's just me.

It's all a matter of what you want for your Honda gem.

I see you're in VA, there are many Insighters all around your area. You should consider attending one of the car meet ups the mid-atlantic group has one or two (or three) times a year. It's a great opportunity to meet other owners and share ideas. Post a pic of your Insight, we all enjoy seeing other folks' cars.

Regards and happy Insighting,

·
Registered
25 Posts
"I will pay more for great handling b/c i drive so much on longer treks -- mostly at night, and through the winter." -Anne

Anne, I also travel over 400 miles each weekend through the Lake effect Snow belts...

The people on this forum are focused primarily on mileage- I'm oriented toward getting there- In any weather...

In my mind I'm happy with 50mpg and SAFE WINTER OPERATIONS IN ALL CONDITIONS..

Therefore, Read the following link and search others related- You will find that the Insight truly requires certain enhancements for Stable winter Ops...

That said... I will be mounting some of the stickiest and top rated snow tires available: General Altimax Arctic along with 32MM spacers

I have over 15,00 miles of direct winter experience on these tires (On a different car)

In a word- Fantastic! And yes I have also owned Blizzak's

I am willing to compromise fuel economy for safety....

Have a safe trip!! Enjoy your Insight ride!...

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/13886-driving-snow-ice.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ski,

"32mm Spacers" ??

What, where, why and how ??

I assume you are trying to get the rears to track the same as the fronts.

I want to set mine up for winter. What's the hot set up?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't buy the RE92's anymore. The most important to me is the short 40K life of the RE92's. I picked up some 90K Yokohama's for less than what the RE92's cost. I suspect the savings in only only buying 1 set of tires rather than 2 in the long run offsets much of the gas savings. Second, I've found the RE92's to ride poorly after they about 1/2 worn, making their useful life less than 40K miles.

Other folks swear by them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yokohamas

I don't buy the RE92's anymore. The most important to me is the short 40K life of the RE92's. I picked up some 90K Yokohama's for less than what the RE92's cost. I suspect the savings in only only buying 1 set of tires rather than 2 in the long run offsets much of the gas savings. Second, I've found the RE92's to ride poorly after they about 1/2 worn, making their useful life less than 40K miles.

Other folks swear by them.
astro, i've been seriously considering the yokohamas. what size/model did you get?

to all: thank you SO much for the thoughtful (and amusing) comments. i know many of you think those of us who bought our insights for reasons that include but aren't limited to gas mileage are a bit crazy, but i gotta feel stable on the road. i drive 15-18K a year currently (city, highway, backroads -- u name it). there are few places i love more than sitting in my insight's driver seat! (oh, but i will always always mourn the death of my first car, an '85 crx si--omG, i never knew love until i bought that car.) don't hate me if i try some yokohamas :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
va insighters

Irish: welcome and congrats on owning a technological gem.

You pose a good question that has many answeres, but Sam (Rainsux) hits the point right on.

There are other tires that provide a more 'comfortable' ride, but the re92 is the tire for mpg.

I bought my Insights for the same reason Sam did, mpg. I'm one of the owners willing to accept some road noise and a stiffer ride. Fits my needs for my G1's, but that's just me.

It's all a matter of what you want for your Honda gem.

I see you're in VA, there are many Insighters all around your area. You should consider attending one of the car meet ups the mid-atlantic group has one or two (or three) times a year. It's a great opportunity to meet other owners and share ideas. Post a pic of your Insight, we all enjoy seeing other folks' cars.

Regards and happy Insighting,
mountain: thanks for the tip! would love to get w/other insighters. i will try to post a couple pics soon: you will all be thrilled to know my baby took on a 5-ft-tall plastic crate (thankfully empty) on the jersey tpke at (i think i got down to) 55-60 mph and survived. she did need a new hood and windshield. amazingly, car in front of me hit it (3 a.m., before exit 4, so no lighting on that section of road) and sent it into me (tho i had seen it and changed lanes -- for naught in the end). somehow it bounced on TOP of the hood, missing the bumper (and airbag sensor) and did NOT roll up into my windshield (tho the force cracked it) and then bounced off.

if we could swear on the forum, this post would have a few obscenities sprinkled in.

don't wish that experience on anyone. btw, in nova, fairfax collision saved my baby in the body shop afterward. :D

never been scared to drive in my life. but that first trip back to NY on the tpke, i had a knot in my stomach for a while.

peace out.

anne
2002 silver, bought in 2008, 169k and countin'

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am currently sporting some 165/60r14 Kumho KH17. I say currently because they are no longer available. The shorter circumference adds a couple hundred rpm and feels like has more power. They most certainly grip better than the RE92s and at $45 each out dollar them as well. MPGs are close to the factory tires (which were at the end of their treadlife). More comfy driving and a draw on milage...no brainer.

Had a flat that took out the sidewall on one of them and was only able to find a single replacement on eBay. I'll likely see 60k plus miles before needing to replace but know not what to put on then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts