Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running Michelin Symetry 175-65-14 tires (purchased on used car) and am considering returing to stock Bridgestone Petenzia RE 165-65-14.

Would anyone suspect a performance increase, or would they perform the same?

Looking to improve MPG, and tires are needed

Thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mileage will improve slightly with the 165/65R14 RE92 tires (but the difference in tire diameters may hide the real difference).
Ride comfort will likely feel stiffer at the same pressures.
I cannot comment on other performance characteristic differences between these two tires.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The stock tires will improve mileage quite a bit. Depending on what type of driving you do, it may not make any performance difference other than a rougher ride. I, personally drive 90% on the interstate, and don't mind the ride. I like the higher mpg.

I did a comparison test with my old Sumitomo tires with Rick Reece, a moderator here. You can see my unscientific results here:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... inalbadbob

robert

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have those exact Michelins on right now. I went from the stock tires to 175s about three years ago when my commute changed from 85% freeway to mostly canyon roads.

I saw about a 5mpg drop but expected it as a trade-off for more grip in the corners.

You should see an increase of some type (based on your driving style) by going back to the RE92s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be doing all highway commute (40 mile one way).

I think I will go with the RE's.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts