Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new one - at least it is for me.

Took my Insight in to my dealer for an oil change. They did a great job. But they also set the tire pressue to 32 front and back. I noticed this on the report they gave me and told them the door jam says 38 and 35. The friendly service rep told me that, yes, that's true, but the manufacturer (not sure if she meant Honda or the tire man.) suggests 32 in winter months.

Anybody else ever hear of this?

·
Registered
242 Posts
winter tire pressure

Hi Al,

you're likely to hear anything at the dealer. If they don't have anything to say that makes sense, they'll say anything - whether or not it makes any sense.

I keep my tires at 50 psi all year round. They don't normally lose any air - have to add a little at the beginning of winter (shrinkage).

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The service advisor at your dealership is out to lunch! If anything, tires should be set a few pounds HIGHER in cold weather. In hot summer road temps, the tires heat up, which causes the pressure to increase. In winter they stay much cooler, so the tires will not heat up nearly as much and the pressure will stay close to where you set it. Billy....

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only reasoning I could see for letting air out in winter would be to get better traction, with more rubber hitting the road. I personally use the max inflation indicated on the tire, 44psi.

... and I always consider the shrinkage factor! :wink:

Ron

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I called the service manager back again. This time he called me back, instead of one of his minions. He said I must have misunderstood what the other person said. (I did not misunderstand - she said the manufacturer recommends lower pressure in winter.) He said that most cars want 32 psi, but the Insight is different. (No fooling, I said. That's why I'm calling.) But he will use this as a point of teaching for his service people. I told him that's the other reason I called - that I am a member of a number of Insight user groups and that we all talk and are continually looking for good Insight service.

Thanks to all who responded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts