Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks-

So I finally got around to pumping the ‘ol 92’s all the way up to 50psi (I think). Wow, just the jump from 45 to 50 makes a noticeable difference! Anyway, I’ve been putting off the inevitable purchase of the “quality dial type pressure gauge” for too long and the time has come. Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality product (at a reasonable price)?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Dan:

___My wife purchased an Accutire MS-4020 for me a few years ago and I haven’t needed another since. It never needs batteries (lifetime Lithium included) and has a .5 pound resolution from 5 - 150 pounds. The link above is just one of the many places you can purchase this digital pressure gauge but there are many more (digital and mechanical) that are far more accurate if you need that level of accuracy … I would check out my local Trak Auto/Pep Boy’s/Auto Zone or whatever shop(s) you have in your locale for a similar for an even better deal myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3hj9ah8t][email protected][/email:3hj9ah8t]

·
Registered
569 Posts
I also bought a digital gauge made by Pressure Inc for about $13. It's small, supposed to be acurate plus or minus 1, and has a lifetime warranty. Got it at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have used that gauge for sometime I got mine at Radio Shack for about $15.00 if My ole memory serves me well. Out of curiousity i compared it to my calibrated gauge for race tires and it is accurate to about +-2psi

·
Registered
242 Posts
air guage

This guage works very well - easy to bleed off extra psi, and the remote spare tire filler is great. The spare is so often neglected - especially when you have to remove the cargo bay liner to get to it. When I air up the tires, I just open the hatch and check the spare.

Here's the link (finally) :oops: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.c ... 270&cid=90

Thanks, Sean - you were right!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I also got one of the Radio Shack labeled versions of this guage quite a few years ago. I wondered both how accurate it really is and what range it has. Thanks.

On one hand, I'd like more accuracy than 1-2psi, and on the other hand, I realize that tire pressure varies wildly by temperature. Fill tires in winter and that same mass of air would overfill it in summer, all while the operating temperature of the tire is higher than the temperature the manufacturer wants the tire to be when you check the temperature.

Park outside and on a sunny day, you are putting more air in the shady side of the car than the sunny side. Then, you need to consider the temperature of the air that you are putting into the tire...

It all makes for rather squishy math. I decide that it's important to not get too compulsive about this.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Will M:

___You can never be too compulsive when it comes to our Insight’s tire pressures ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:mfknfrh7][email protected][/email:mfknfrh7]

·
Registered
242 Posts
air guage

Hi Sean,

thanks. I just noticed the missing link and added it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My $8 Walmart dial tire guage has replaced my digital tire guage because:
1) Cheap one has button for resetting guage to zero
2) Cheap one has nifty stub for pressing valve to release air
3) Cheap one is just as accurate
4) if I lend to a friend they break it, I won't cry

I use it almost weekly.
Don't trust the tire guages on the air pumps at the gas stations!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts