Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi List!

I have my tire pressure at 40/38. I've read that some of you have pumped them up to 50psi and getting amazing mileage. I was thinking of doing the same, but is it harmful for the tires in the long run? The ride must be really hard, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have mine set to 50psi all around and then took a cross country trip....no problems. The tires actually wear more even this way. They are rated for much higher psi, but yes the ride a little harder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Resist,
They are rated for much higher psi.
Are you sure about this...? My tires say max 44 PSI on the sidewalls... I was under the impression that this max rating was the highest the manufacturer suggests inflating to without damaging the tires. I am certainly not a pro, so it's very likely i'm wrong. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have recently begun inflating my tires to 50psi all around and must say that I've noticed maybe a 1 to 2 mpg gain, with no harmful effects to the ride and handling. If the tires wear more evenly at this pressure, that'd be great because I got 42,000 miles from my first set of tires and it was the outside and inner edges of the tires that were the most worn, the center of the old tires still had a good bit of tread left (not a huge amount, but more than on the edges, which from my past car experience is strange but oh well!).

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I find the biggest difference in MPG comes from fixing underinflation (usually from clueless dealers who inflate to 24 psi or 32 psi) up to the 38 psi spec. I currently inflate to 44 psi (just so I don't have to inflate as often) but I haven't noticed an MPG improvement from going beyond 38.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Do the Fifty

I have mentioned elsewhere my habit (of many decades) of bumping up tire pressures to the sidewall recommendation plus a smidgeon more. I have never suffered any type of tire failure or aberrant tire wear patterns by doing this (even in Saharan climates), unless I have tagged a curb somewhere and knocked my vehicle(s) out of alignment. A properly aligned set of tires with max air pressure will give you much better tire wear, I have observed better traction in most conditions (OK, the sand dunes at Padre Island et al would require some adjustments, but if I'm there, I'm taking the Jeeper anyhow), and normally do not deteriorate ride quality so much (a little better feel of tar strips and bumps, maybe a skootch more road noise... so you turn up the radio or have your beloved lean a little closer so you can talk like you should be doing more anyhow according to Dr. Phil and his ilk :mrgreen: ). On the Insight, no harm has been done, and my mileage went instantly higher by 5 mpg.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I raised mine from the recommended 38 &35 to 40 &38 and immediately noticed a harsher ride. It's not so bad that I let air out, but I definitely notice it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts