Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry all. i used the subject as a search and did not find what i was looking for.
i read the tire pressure thing in the non-froum listings and was wondering something.
It says that the numbers listed are for COLD tire pressure. I filled up this AM to 42 in front and 41 in rear.
Then i remembered that the article also said that MAX pressure is 44.
is this number also for cold? if so, i guess 44 isnt really the max since it will clearly exceed that when hot.
i just want to be certain that i am not over-doing it.
thanks

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

You are absolutly right. Is is 44 cold. There is a safety margin so the real maximum is higher thant that. Keeping within the limit will be preferable.

My experience is that our tires do not get as hot as tires from other cars. One good reason is that behing Low Roling Resistance and higher pressure, they do not flex as much as others and therefore, do not produce as much heat.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Kookmeyers:

___If your Insight has the OEM Bridgestone RE92’s on them, the max inflation pressure is listed right on the sidewall and as Yves pointed out, it is 44 #’s Cold. I use 51 #’s cold all-around right now but will probably have to lower them as ambient temperatures begin to climb. My tires just don’t seem to leak nearly as much as some have reported in this forum and the Yahoo groups?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2vavquka][email protected][/email:2vavquka]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Holding pressure

I can report so far that on two Insights pressures in the 40s seem to hold very well. I haven't tried 50s.

My spare was way low, however. Whoops. Don't forget to check your spare once in a while!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The maximum pressure of 44psi is for the maximum load rating.
It's not an absolute maximum pressure.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Guillermo:

___The blow out/rupture pressure for most tires is well into the 100 + # range. I read this a few months ago in a forum where a Tire engineer was adding commentary. I wish I had bookmarked that discussion because it was a good one.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:t7iyqc3l][email protected][/email:t7iyqc3l]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I used 50psi all around and drove across country and back. Two people and luggage, got great gas mileage with no tire problems.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyone out there tried filling gas (no, not gasoline) instead of air ?

I've done so. After 95.000 kms and my first new tyres on the front axle, I've changed to gas.
It's a MUCH smoother ride !!
:D

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have 89K miles on mine and the tread still looks very good. I rotated the tires once at around 30K. The sidewall seams to be the weak area. I have a bulge in one of the rear tires. Its grown a bit over the last several thousand miles. I expect I will replace two and let the other two keep going. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi No. 166:

I’m sorry you lost me. Gas? What gas? Like helium or argon? I am naive. I have never heard of this.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Talking about gas,
It is also possible to fill up your tires with nitrogen N2, N2 molecules are a bit bigger than normal "air" molecules, due to that, airmolecules protrudes easyer thru the tire-rubber than nitrogen molecules. Because of this, nitrogen filled tires stay longer on ther desired pressure, which means you don't need to check your tires more often for the correct pressure, compared to "air" filled tires.
"Air" is an mixture of 78% N2 and 21% O2=Oxygen (easy said, there are more components in the air)
But look at this a bit closer:
Let's say that you have filled up your tires with "air" and the O2 leaks completly out, and you fill it up again with "air", the N2 raises to 96 % and the O2 decreases to 4 % etc...so if you do this again and again, you are getting higher N2 percentage.
BTW, N2 has the behaviour of preventing heating up of the tire, cause N2 expands less than "air".

·
Registered
351 Posts
and the advantages are...cooler?..softer ride? ...lighter?..fewer insect infestations?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Resist said:
Don't racing cars use Nitrogen in their tires?
Yes, and airplanes to, if a tire gets to hot and it's get burning, N2 will not make the fire get bigger. If there is "air" in it, the fire might get worse due to leaking "air".

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yes, and airplanes to, if a tire gets to hot and it's get burning, N2 will not make the fire get bigger.

Well not all airplanes use nitrogen in the tires. And while nitrogen will not make the fire get bigger, the larger concern would be the magnesium wheels airplanes use, that create their own oxygen when burning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Resist said:
Well not all airplanes use nitrogen in the tires. And while nitrogen will not make the fire get bigger, the larger concern would be the magnesium wheels airplanes use, that create their own oxygen when burning.
Yep, you are right about the use of magnesium wheels in aviation, but during a fire, magnesium does not create it's own oxygene (2Mg+O2=2MgO), it creates a lot of heat , compared to other alloys. In the 50's, on a university, they tried to use magnesium to propulse aircraft !!!

Verry sorry for getting off topic :oops:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___Some of the Japanese 04 Prius drivers that push the envelope in terms of fuel economy are running pure N2 in theirs? Can N2 at 50 #’s pressure in the RE92’s be lighter then Air at 50 #’s w/ basically a 78% N2/21% O2 mix in air anyway? What about using Helium? It would leak like a SOB but it if it dropped the inertial weight of the RE92’s and dropped the overall weight of the Insight … and then you could still consider the low pressure but large bag of Hydrogen to fill the hatch ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:jjmy8odg][email protected][/email:jjmy8odg]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts