Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago "Silver" ran over road glass and a tire (Potenzas) went nearly flat. David used Fix-a-Flat. Afterward, the car began to shake violently at about 60 mph. The Honda dealership removed the Fix-a-Flat (the liquid bouncing around caused the shaking) and then repaired the tire. The repair was only $14 and the tire looks and drives like new.

How do repaired tires handle higher psi? We usually keep the tires at 40-44psi but not higher. Right now they are at spec'd psi but it would be nice to pump in a little more air for the mpg help. :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Depends on the location and size of the patch.

Smaller and centrally located in _general_ compromise the tire less. Its unusual for glass to be able to penetrate a steel belted radial. So your damage leaves much to be explained (the technicals that only the "patcher" would know).

Sooo higher PSI could cause a patched tire to fail. And one needing a bigger patch _could_ even fail "easier."

Too many variables and unknowns with the potential for a blow-out, especially if over pressurized.

Personally I'd reduce the tires to factory spec.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've heard something recently about putting Nitrogen in your tires? Something about it being better for the inner wall of the tires, the N2 won't oxidize the tire as much as air or something? Anyone know anything about it and if it is worth it? The service was actually pretty cheap, like $10 to fill up all 4 tires and you could come back to top off as often as you need for free (for like a couple of months or something?).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I picked up a nail the week I had a new set of tires put on my Insight. Brought it back to Costco where they repaired it and I've still been running 50psi since. No issues to date, but if I recall the nail was right dead center in the tire so it's an easy repair spot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. :)

I just returned from putting "Papaya"s tires back to 40 psi all around. Her tires had slipped down to 35 psi over the past 2 months. I'm using a Campbell Hausfeld "Iron Force" digital pressure reader. It's so much easier for me to use than the classic pressure reader (cuz it goes straight on instead of angled). I will probably check tire pressures more regularly now that I'm faster at it and making less of a fool of myself at the filling station (well, in this regard anyway)!

David's "Silver" will stay at spec'd tire pressure for the time being. Honda said they removed glass shards but we don't really know the extent or location of the repair(s). If all goes well with the spec'd pressures he may cautiously inch up towards psi 40.

Don't want to "tire" y'all out by rambling on. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts