Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its time to replace the front tires as they are pretty worn out
Whats the general concensus for a replacement tire. Ive read the OEM tires stink, so what is everyone going with??

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Keep Reading.

It's mixed. Your driving conditions and expectations will make huge difference. So much so that many people opt for winter tires and summer tires. Some people look for the best LRR and some don't. Snow, desert, rain, dirt, highway, performance, comfort all play a role.

I never had a problem with stock tires but I understand why some people did not like them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am in Miami, so I dont anticipate needing winter tires.
Im mostly looking for good value tire.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Please put your loction in your signature...Thank you

Willie

·
Registered
790 Posts
Why do you ask people to do that anyway Willie?

That's kinda ... creepy, man. Perhaps you have a legit reason that isn't creepy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Because people will say they get near 60 mpg's and come to find out they live in a flat part of the country, or people say they don't get good mpg's and they live in San Francisco.

Also some get snow and may want different tires. In LA we get no snow so I don't care about winter tires.

Same with oil viscosity.

etc........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey guys, its time to replace the front tires as they are pretty worn out
Whats the general concensus for a replacement tire. Ive read the OEM tires stink, so what is everyone going with??
I just ordered a set of four 175/65R-15 Yokohama AVID ENVigor tires off of Tirerack.com ($336); will be having them put on this Thursday 10/6/11.

I never had a problem with the Dunlops except 45000 miles seems quick to wear, and they were loud (though I don't know if the other options last longer or are any quieter). I cornered very good in the Dunlops and they did great in the snow and rain for me. I kept them at 44psi. I only got the Yokos because they were significantly cheaper ($336 set) than the spec'd Dunlops ($424 set) and I heard they were just as good or better on this forum. I like that they come with a treadlife warranty (60,000 miles), which the Dunlops don't which makes me think (hope) the Yoko's will last longer. I'll try to remember to let you know how they work out for me once I get them on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bridestones Turanza

My Insight 2010 was delivered with OEM Bridgestone Turanzas. No complaints so far > 20.000 km., whereas other owners have a lot of complaints about the Dunlops in The Netherlands.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got the new Yokohama Envigors on; dropped my avg mpg about 2mpg from the worn Dunlops (as calculated on MID). I wouldn't be surprised if any new tires would have resulted in a similar drop. I don't feel like these have any ride/noise/performance differences over the Dunlops. I take turns pretty tight/fast and was fine on either set of tires. But the Yokohamas were significantly cheaper and I have some hope they may last longer since they come with a treadwear warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got about 52000 out of my dunlops. They werent that bad for me. Just loud. My tire center put Goodyear Assurance comfortred 185/60/15, My mileage went from averaging 49, to 40, I actually had a 37 MPG tank. I contacted goodyear, they told me to return them to a dealer, and they replaced them with the Assurance FuelMax 175/65/15. No questions asked. I put over 8K on them. Mileage is right back to 49. I could do better, but I cant drive 65, or 70. They will run me right off the road!! Tire is very quiet, and was great in the rain. Hopefully I get 50K out of them. So far, I like them....

·
Registered
382 Posts
... and they replaced them with the Assurance FuelMax 175/65/15. ....
Great finding Shawn! So far as the assurance fuel max was the tire I was thinking to put on my I2 once I'm done with the Dunlops. But I couldn't find the 175/65R15 size (was a bit lazy and looked pretty much only Tire rack… shame on me). I was falling back on a 185/60R15 instead. I wrote to Goodyear a while back asking if they would ever produce the 175/65R15 size and got the reply "Not in our plan". It's probably very new (they don’t even list the specs yet on their website), but I’m glad they decided to produce it after all...

Also, Shawn, what do you mean by “They will run me right off the road!!” do you think they are poor tires ? Low traction ?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tires are fine so far, Im just happy I got my mileage back, if I do 65, the trucks will run me off the road!! Even they cruise at 75..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the MI and we're supposed to have a rough Winter this year - so I am definately thinking about putting snow tires on my car before winter hits. If I do - I'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
i assume you have an extra set of 14" rims ??? the I2 comes stock with 15" units
I don't have rims but I am looking. I found rims that go to a Mazda Miata of 14" size and probably 6. I know the I1 rims are 14"x5.5", would they work with the 175/65/R14 winter tires that I mentioned on my I1? please give me advice before I buy them. they are aluminium and look good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 26000 miles the Dunlops are gone!! Yay!! I just put a set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422 195/60R15's on and so far love them. They are SO MUCH QUIETER. They handle SO MUCH BETTER. I've only had the car for 1500 miles and the Dunlops were scary in the way that they handled. I have hated them every day for the past three weeks that I've owned the car. On the Bridgestones I have the PSI at 50 and I'll see how I like that. I may end up bringing it back to 45. (Discount set them at 37.) I was going to use my Costco coupon next week and the quote was $371 out the door, not including rebuilding the Tire Pressuring Monitoring Systems in each tire. I gave Discount Tire a chance to beat it and they came back with $392 out the door including the TPMS plus amazing service. I didn't have to wait til next week when the Costco coupon was valid and then wait for them to order them. Discount got them in the next day.

·
Registered
622 Posts
a-ha !!!
this is a tire upgrade I was thinking about but wanted some additional info ...
we obviously know that the 185/60/15's work since the '12 comes stock with that size and many in the community previously made that switch ... do the 195/60/15's fit comfortably in the wheel wells? is there any rubbing under hard cornering? is there any rubbing under hard braking while cornering ? does the bigger size limit the travel of tires from the steering pinned left and right? how is the ride with a little bit fatter sidewall? response/etc.?
any info you could give would indeed be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 26000 miles the Dunlops are gone!! Yay!! I just put a set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422 195/60R15's on and so far love them. They are SO MUCH QUIETER. They handle SO MUCH BETTER. I've only had the car for 1500 miles and the Dunlops were scary in the way that they handled. I have hated them every day for the past three weeks that I've owned the car. On the Bridgestones I have the PSI at 50 and I'll see how I like that. I may end up bringing it back to 45. (Discount set them at 37.) I was going to use my Costco coupon next week and the quote was $371 out the door, not including rebuilding the Tire Pressuring Monitoring Systems in each tire. I gave Discount Tire a chance to beat it and they came back with $392 out the door including the TPMS plus amazing service. I didn't have to wait til next week when the Costco coupon was valid and then wait for them to order them. Discount got them in the next day.
Very interesting. How about the mpg, have you noticed any difference?

Thanks,

DS

1 - 20 of 37 Posts