Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Living in the Canadian prairies, I am hoping/trying to line up some winter grippers for the Insight. I have a friend off-loading some Bridgestone Blizzaks (195/65r15s) that were on his 2000 Accord, and I also have a set of 15s rims from 1999 civic. Bolt pattern matches, just wondering if this tire/rim combo would be compatible with my Insight? I'm thinking they would, or it would be close.

Anyone have experience with this size of tire before I go to the shop and pay them to mount and balance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you google rimsntires calculator and use the first link, that should help you out. I have a new account so I cant use a url. I have also been looking for some options and the website gives good info. The stock rims are 14x5.5 with a 45 offset and the tires are 165x65. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the website recommendation, it was actually kind of cool to see how everything changes when you adjust a parameter. Also their tailored recommendations based off the comparison of two scenarios. The OEM wheels on my EX are 175/65r15. Sounds like they might work though.

Would still like to hear if anyone has any experience with tire rub etc at this size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your welcome! Also I noticed after I posted that this is on the gen 2 discussion, The tire and rim measurements are for the gen 1. Sorry about that. Like I said, new to the forum :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm running 185 65 15's on the stock steelies ... no rubbing, clearance is fine and there's plenty of room in the wheel well for a bigger tire ... i recall other members running 195 60 15's without any problems too ... u should b alright its not radically larger

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
He is talking 195/65r15, not the 195/60s reported as ok around here.
You can just enter that tire size in the search here and see what comes up.
(I did, but only looked at a few hits)
I also Googled 60 vs 65 series tires and it says that the 65 series is 3.2% taller. It might be too much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you'll be fine but to get the full picture you really need to take into account the offset.

I'm running 195/R16 55R which is somewhat comparable to you. My offset is 48mm. My rim width was 6.5.

Use those online calculators and compare against stock rim/wheel combinations and you'll get a rough ballpark. Simple. Let's be real -- the wheel gap on the Insight is huge so you have a lot of play.

As long as you're not dropping your car, you'll have plenty of clearance.

These are my new rims with the specs above; zero rubbing:
https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-discussions/121313-finally-got-mugen-kit-too.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks for the pics! And nice looking Insight. That provides a sense of how they look/fit. Seems not bad, especially comparing the dimensions. I might do it, just given the deal I can get on these tires and rims. I will post some pics if/when I do mount these things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts