Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my 2001 CVT today and noticed all 4 of my tires have sidewall cracks in them. This really has me upset. The car only has a tad over 13k miles. I looked over the Bridgestone Limited Warranty booklet and it doesn't look like they are cover under the warranty anymore. I don't understand it, I have another car, a 1996 with its original tires and they aren't cracked. But my 3 year old Insight's tures are. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
This shows UV sun attack or oxydation (dont remember which) of the rubber compound. It is 'normal' and shows how many years the rubber tire was created.

Nothing can stop this. I beleive that a tire has a longevity no matther the mileage on it.

I use to get that on my Winter tires because the wear less and I have them for many years.
In the past, it happened that I garbaged tires that still had lots of tread.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder then if because of sun damage we might think about tire covers for our Insights.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My 02 had that too at 26K when I had them replaced. The Potenza RE92 165/65/14 is not a long life tire. It was built for lowest possible rolling resistence for the Insight. I also always used Meguiar's tire dressing products which have anti ozonants in them, but that didn't seem to do too much (I've had excellent luck with this on all other tires I've ever had). So it must be just our specific tire. If you want a longer life replacment and can live with a few mpg hit go with a Goodyear Integrity 175/65/14 (smallest size they make). I think the treadwear on them is something like 460, Willie runs them on his rears. They are LRR tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts