Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. How much variation in tire size can there be on stock rims? In essence, how narrow-wide can the width be and how low-high can the aspect ratio be? Also, What is the outside diameter of the stock tires and what combinations of width and aspect ratio can I use to achieve the same diameter.

Also any recomendations for good tires out there would be appreciated?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
look at tire specs

Look at the datasheet for the tire you are interested in. It will specify the nominal rim width (sometimes called "measuring"), along with allowable range.

e.g. Nokian Nre 145/80R13: measuring: 4, approved: 3.5 - 5

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
InsightfulBob said:
Also any recomendations for good tires out there would be appreciated?
Forgot this part:
Summer: stick with OEM. Nothing else available in US
Winter: Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 (if you want studdable) or RSi if you don't want studs. Get the 145/80R13 size with 13" civic steel rims. Better snow traction than 165 tires and less of a mileage hit.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
OEM Insight tires are 165/65R14 Bridgestone RE92 and they have a diameter of 22.5 inches (of the top of my head because i'm a tire nerd).
These tires actually cause the speedometer to read 2% faster then reality.

185/60R14 tires actually increases the accuracy of your speedometer and odometer etc..

195/60R14 are a little bigger again but they fit without any problems.
195/55R14 tires have the same diameter as the OEM tires and fit great.

These are the best sizes for summer performance tires that fit well on an Insight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Happy so far - Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S - 185/60/14

I just put 4 of these on. Mileage is down, but too early to tell how much - but seems that its 5% to 10%. I've heard that can improve with time.

Also, there is a noticable hit on acceleration. The car used to have some snap between about 15mph & 50mph. Now, no snap. But there is still plenty of acceleration.

However, IMO, the up side more than makes up for these issues. I selected the tires seeking a quieter and more stable ride. The reduced noise level is striking! Previously very noisy freeway rides are now quite acceptable.

And the handling is so much better! No more tracking - none! And the car drives great now! Its a road hugging sports car now. Much more fun and stable and safe.

The original tires were not a safe or friendly (noise) compromise in this car. I appreciate the milage boost and how they made the car clearly better for mileage than the Prius (or anything else!). But I think Honda missed the mark by making the car a poor ride with the RE-92s.

Still, too much body lean. Maybe try to fix that next.

·
Registered
466 Posts
4 of what? did i miss something?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Yes you did. Looks like ypu were "scanning" or speed reading and not just "reading". Look right next to his posting time (Posting Subject.)

Willie

·
Registered
466 Posts
oops! forgot about the subject line. i never put one in for a reply. silly me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts