Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Insighters, anybody out there having hard time with proper tire sizes? I have 175/65/14. Totally wrong size, and come to find out very hard to get unless you know what your doing have experience or know your resources. If I try real hard on flats, I got 58mpg, but on average around 49mpg, to me this is Bad, I have regular car Suzuki Swift that's gets this mpg and it's only gas. With my Insight I tried original spare tire in which I have 2, I put them on front and drove car, it had great power with the spare tires on front and fuel mileage went up to 68mpg, so what are your experiences Insighters? I got a resource to get 165/55/14, what do you guys think if I were to put this size on my car? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
To summarize the responses below this one:

For gas mileage, get Bridgestone Potenza re92s in 165/65 r14 only.

That's it, it's that simple.

·
Super Moderator
4,730 Posts
+1. This is the only tire for the Insight. Do some searches. Costco has a rebate on them right now.

Sam

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
To summarize the responses below this one:

For gas mileage, get Bridgestone Potenza re92s in 165/65 r14 only.

That's it, it's that simple.

YEP!

I'm a believer.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
++ & + on the Bridgestone Potenza RE-92. I get mine from tire rack. The fuel savings covers the extra price. Worth every penny.

btw: your oem spare is 'aired up' compared to a standard tire. Another piece of the mpg puzzle.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes - RE92s for non-winter weather.
I like them at 50 psi.

I had to do the tire size dance when selecting winter tires because I couldn't find any I liked in the correct size.

I ended up with Hakkapeliitta R2 in 155/65-14.
That makes them 10 mm narrower, and 0.5 inch smaller diameter, than stock. They say narrower is good for snow tires and I suspect that's true.
I'm very happy with them.

I did the calculation to correct the odometer's distance readings, so I could still accurately track mpg here: MPG log for my Insight. You can see I got pretty decent mpg through the snow tire season.

I think Tire Rack has (had?) winter tires in 165/65-14 but I didn't like them - not LRR, and not particularly good traction either. These Finnish Nokians were good to me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think 165/55/R14 is an ok size to try. Your speedometer/odometer will read -5.8% from stock and your ride height will lower by 0.65".

The RE92s do get really good gas mileage, but they're not cheap, don't handle well dry or wet, and, at least for me, wear too quick.

155/65/R14s are a little closer to the stock height and any cheap tire will still handle better even if it's a 155 width. I found some 165/60/R14s once, but don't see them available anymore. Most people's impression of the "huge" MPG difference from leaving the RE92 is based on tires in the most common size swapped out at tire shops, 175/65/R14 which is always wider, taller, and more heavy. If you keep the setup the same weight and slightly smaller, you don't have to run RE92s. This isn't that easy though since it is a pretty light tire.

My favorite size as a compromise for everything so far 165/70/R13s on VX rims. I'm currently running some old discontinued Sumitomos that I really like in that size and I bought a set of Achilles 122 that I haven't mounted yet for when they wear out.

Insightful2 was PM'ing me a while back just to discuss tire options. He ended up getting some Federal Formoza FD2 in a 155/65/R14. I'm going to quote his initial impressions,... hopefully he won't mind.

Insightful2:
"So I've driven a couple hundred miles on the tires at this point. The handling is much improved even with the narrower tire, but the road noise isn't that much better in my opinion. Braking and grip is a lot better too. I wish I might have had these with my first Insight accident. They might have stopped me sooner than the worn Potenzas did. Since putting them on, I've driven in some pretty heavy winds and rain. So I can't tell for sure what my mpg loss is, but as of right now I've taken a 4-5 mpg hit. But I think once conditions become favorable again, it will be around 2-3 mpg. I hope all of this info helps."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everybody, I finally got Potensa Re92 , wow $400 otd. And wow as soon as I took off out the driveway, it was like Night and day difference. I felt power increase ima battery charged better and stays almost full charge, lifetime MPG is slowly going up from 46mpg to 51mpg and climbing. I will see what happens my goal is to reach at least 68mpg. Car came with 175/65/14 when I purchased it. I had to order re92 tires , yep why put wrong size tires on an Insight , I don't get it. For my thoughts you may just as well buy a regular gas car. It's so crazy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pump those bad boys up to 50 psi on all 4 corners and enjoy the MPGs. RE-92s, and don't look back. Order them ahead of time next time, if you have to. 175/65-14s are easy to get as a walk-in customer, most tire shops. Lean burn the crap out of it, you should easily get north of 70 mpg. Later

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Pump those bad boys up to 50 psi on all 4 corners and enjoy the MPGs. RE-92s, and don't look back. Order them ahead of time next time, if you have to. 175/65-14s are easy to get as a walk-in customer, most tire shops. Lean burn the crap out of it, you should easily get north of 70 mpg. Later
No. The 175/65-14 are not the same beast at all. Per sam's post... 165/65-14 only.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What I meant was, the reason folks get the wrong size tire is because a lot of tire shops stock the alternate tire size ie 175xxx which may be common to a lot of other cars, and don't stock the RE92s in our proper size. It is real easy to just walk into the tire shops and get tires that way, without the wait or need to special order. Sorry for the shorthand above.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on the potential for added stress running 50psi in the tires - stress on stuff other than the tires, that is? I usually run about 40 psi, and that feels like it's just above the threshold where the tires absorb the right amount of road imperfection, which makes some sense since it's just above OEM inflation. In other words, seems like a lot of bad road stuff gets transmitted from the road to the chassis when the tires are inflated high and it makes me think that in the long run it could end up wearing stuff out faster... I just have no clue what magnitude of difference there is between say OEM inflation and 50 psi; it just feels quite a bit harsher... I do like the way the RE92s handle though when inflated high, higher - I'd go above 40 psi if the ride wasn't so harsh...

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
I've been running 50 psi since...... forever, and still have the stock shocks and struts on the LRR.

The harshness keeps me awake.
I can run over a coin in the road and tell you if it is heads or tails.
Willie

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
^ I recall reading that high tire inflation doesn't seem to impact how the tires wear, i.e. RE92s seem to wear faster at the shoulders than in the middle, and you'd think that inflating more would help alleviate that uneven wear pattern - yet people say it doesn't, unfortunately. How do your tires wear, Willie, at 50 psi? More at the shoulders? More or less the same as when you had them inflated lower?

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
About the same as using std. pressure. Wear only on the edges.(shoulders)

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine wear pretty evenly across the tread at 45-50 psi (I don't check/refill them as often as I should). 80k+ miles and 2nd set of tires since I bought the car. I drive pretty conservatively.
__
Neil

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Living in Colorado Springs(pot holes everywhere) I fill to about 42psi. If I still lived in Vegas(smooth roads) I would do 45-50. I hit a pothole about a year ago so bad the next day I had a flat, never found a nail.

Agree with S Keith, the tire the previous owner put on were the 175/65-14 and I was getting 55mpg. I took advantage of the blown tire episode and just got four new proper tires(42psi) and started getting 62.7 mpg(5,000 miles). Tires are such a huge and easy upgrade. I don't disagree with 50psi, just choose to be a bit conservative.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have Michelin Defender Green X 175/65/14's on mine. Supposed to be low rolling resistance tires that I keep reading reviews that they are terrible at saving fuel. But the 144,000km treadwear is insane but, I am only getting 52mpg or 55mpg on the non hilly sector of Ontario. Also running the wrong plugs, EGR is sticky, aero plate is missing and IMA is wacky.
Wouldn't mind some 155 or correct 165's soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts