Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Well, tire technology is ever evolving and it's nearing the time for me to get a new set, so I thought a 2016 revisit to the ongoing tire debate might help me and others going through this tough time in G1 ownership.

What's the latest word on tire choices for those of you who went through this recently? Anything on the market as good or bettter for fuel economy? How about for speedo accuracy AND fuel economy. If I could win in both these arenas, I'd be thrilled!

- BFD

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
NOTHING better than the RE92.....PERIOD., for what YOUR requirements are.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
148 Posts
RE92's. Standard answer.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Re92. Accept no substitutes.

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
Has anybody suggested the RE-92?

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
Me too and with only 1 rotation.

Willie

·
Registered
818 Posts
I still insist that I only got about 10k miles on the one set of RE92s I bought a couple years ago. If your criteria is gas mileage only, I would say either the Bridgestone RE92 or Dunlop Enasave in the oem size, 165/65/R14 should be equal. The Dunlop costs a bit more but should last a bit longer if the UTQG is correct.

Though it's not available here any longer as far as I can tell, if your interested, check out this thread on the Vredestein Quatrac Lite . It's the only other tire I know of in the OEM size that isn't heavier.

As for speedo accuracy. You need a taller tire to correct it, right? as in OEM setup tells you you're going faster by about 2%, right? If that's the case, then the only way you can go with a taller tire, but not have it be way heavier is if it's skinnier. That would mean something in a 155 width. A 155/70/R14 would be 0.4% larger circumference, but looks like a pretty rare size, only one I found. If you went to a 13" rim, 155/80/R13s are pretty common and would change the speedo by 1.8%. If you go that direction the Achilles 122 or Kumho Solus TA11 are available right now.

Getting a speedo correction without losing MPGs may be a bit difficult. My official recommendation is that the RE92 sucks and the speedo being accurate isn't important so let's make it worst; go cheap and smaller than OEM so that you at least have good performance. Look for stuff in like a 165/60/R14, 165/55/R14, or 155/65/R14. If you can get some light 13" rims, then maybe 165/70R13, 165/70R13, or 155/70/R13

·
Registered
130 Posts
Outside bars, the tread in the center is still good. Better, anyway. That sounds like underinflation but I keep them at 42 front, 40 rear, psi.

People in other areas get more mileage out of their motorcycle tires than I do, too. Are roads smooth in other places? Most of ours are chip and seal, on top. I don't know if that makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
Outside bars, the tread in the center is still good. Better, anyway. That sounds like underinflation but I keep them at 42 front, 40 rear, psi.

People in other areas get more mileage out of their motorcycle tires than I do, too. Are roads smooth in other places? Most of ours are chip and seal, on top. I don't know if that makes any difference.
You're taking corners too fast. Slow down and turn easy. These tires on our cars always wear more on the outside, but slow turns will help.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
You can't have much more fun driving the Insight than I do. MOMEMTUM is the answer for good MPG.
MY OPINION
Willie

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm looking ahead to winter. I want good winter tires.

Not much available here in the US. Plenty variety in UK and Europe but most US shops won't install them. Shipping is probably insanely expensive.

BUT Nokian offers "close enough" sizes in a Low Rolling Resistance, non-studded winter tire. 155/65-14 and 175/65-14. It's their Hakkapeliitta R2. I'll also check Tire Rack once we're in the fall season, just to see if they offer anything good in our size.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I'm looking ahead to winter. I want good winter tires.

Not much available here in the US. Plenty variety in UK and Europe but most US shops won't install them. Shipping is probably insanely expensive.

BUT Nokian offers "close enough" sizes in a Low Rolling Resistance, non-studded winter tire. 155/65-14 and 175/65-14. It's their Hakkapeliitta R2. I'll also check Tire Rack once we're in the fall season, just to see if they offer anything good in our size.

I bought some Perilli snow tires on Tire Rack in Jan of this year and they were awesome. Cheap too. Keep your eyes open for those close outs on TR.

·
Linsight Designer
1,786 Posts
I still insist that I only got about 10k miles on the one set of RE92s I bought a couple years ago.
My memory is fuzzy, but didn't I give you a set of tires for free when we met in Austin? If so, they had low miles, but were something like 8 years old (at the time).

Instant Update:I just looked at my service records: tires purchased 2007, removed from my car (and given to you) around May 2014... so they were at least 7 years old, and had 24,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Instant Update:I just looked at my service records: tires purchased 2007, removed from my car (and given to you) around May 2014... so they were at least 7 years old, and had 24,000 miles on them.
With that kind of age and mileage 10k doesn't sound that unreasonable, especially if the 10k was just an estimate. I just bought a new set because I blew a tire and the others were starting to look worn, wondered how they could look that bad when I just bought them last summer, realized I'd managed to put around 30k miles on the set in the last year.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My memory is fuzzy, but didn't I give you a set of tires for free when we met in Austin? If so, they had low miles, but were something like 8 years old (at the time).

Yeah, I went through that set you gave me pretty quickly (maybe a couple months or so?) and bought a new set from tirerack.com at that point. It's the new set I got about 10k miles over maybe about 8 months. I don't remember how many miles I was able to put on the ones you gave me, but they didn't last long.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts