Honda Insight Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you considered the Maxxis Mecotra 3 165/65 R14 83H XL?

(Caution: there is also a 79T tire of the same name but it's ratings aren't as happy)

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=WBdZZrERTBjtTDXj.110.213716295&Breite=165&Quer=65&Felge=14&Speed=&kategorie=&Marke=Maxxis&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Maxxis&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=Lable_1roll&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&Label=B-B-69-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-389815

The 83H XL has a quiet ride, also great in the wet, and is one of the lowest rolling resistance tires around.

I've yet to find someone who will import these tires here to the US, but i'm still trying :)
That's great info. Thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
I run 55 lbs.

Sam

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I have 68,500 miles on RE92s and I'm just about at the wear bars on the outside tread. As is common, I have quite a bit more tread in the center, must be at least 6/32 deep... I rotate the tires every time I change the motor oil, they're all very even in wear...
Measured the tread depth of my brand new set of unmounted RE92s:
Outside Shoulder 8/32
Center 9/32

My current RE92S at 42,000 miles rotated every 7-8k miles (55 psi Front, 50 psi Rear):
Outside Shoulder 3/32
Center 5/32

So far so good since they still are working great in heavy rains we get in the southeast while keeping up with traffic on the freeways. They handle great like the CRX Si's I used to own on the on and off ramps in the dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
^ I subsequently measured my tread depth - they were 3/32 at shoulders and 6/32 at middle. I asked my engineer friend the other day what he thought about wet traction/risk of hyrdoplaning with tires worn like mine/ours, and he said that most of the ability to evacuate water from the tread fell to the middle tread (something like that), so I'd probably be OK... I've driven quite a bit on wet roads lately and haven't noticed any untoward behavior. I still try to take it easy with really wet highways at highway speed (try not to drive over about 60 mph)...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know its not 2016, but I figured its better than being that guy that likes to create new threads, on topics already discussed

I have 68,500 miles on RE92s and I'm just about at the wear bars on the outside tread.
I believe Willie gets about 35k on his RE92s

The #s appears to be all over the place! Do we have a decent "average" on these oem tires, as far as life expectancy?

The 260 UTQG rating scares me, and makes me want to consider another brand

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
No calculated average as far as I know. I saw a couple people mention, somewhere, numbers close to mine, while some people were saying they'd get about 35k and don't rotate. I'm thinking people who rotate get at least 60k, people who don't will be under 40k (or will have to buy replacements a pair at a time)... And then, I'm thinking road quality probably makes most of the rest of the difference. Either that and/or hard driving, I just don't see many people driving that hard in the Insight. I've been driving pretty hard for the last year or so, though, lots of fast corners. I drove pretty light the first 40k miles or so on these tires. I still have them on, BTW, must be up to about 74k miles now...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought 4 tyres for my insight the other month they were cracking with age rather than wear the car had done 50K and was a Japanese car imported to the UK, I would think they were original.
I bought 4 Toyo eco tyres for £80 ish and I am sure they will do the job for the next 30K miles or so. The grip is better than the Yokohamas I removed which were very hard to say the least! I value my life far more than saving a few quid on tyres that have gone hard through age and the sun.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Are the tires in Japan and in Europe more efficient than what is allowed in America. I know there is a little diesel car made in Germany with 4 inch wide tires that you can't get here that get 10 more miles to the gallon. I think seven sets are over here from people bringing them back on vacation or have people in the military- they can bring them back. Audi a2 that's the little car I'm talking about it's on YouTube .The reason that I use space savers with temporary tires on was to copy .the Audi a2 tires. There is a method to my madness! 🤓

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Are the tires in Japan and in Europe more efficient than what is allowed in America. I know there is a little diesel car made in Germany with 4 inch wide tires that you can't get here that get 10 more miles to the gallon. I think seven sets are over here from people bringing them back on vacation or have people in the military- they can bring them back. Audi a2 that's the little car I'm talking about it's on YouTube .The reason that I use space savers with temporary tires on was to copy .the Audi a2 tires. There is a method to my madness! 🤓
Getting a bit off topic but on Ecomodder there's a member with an A2 (in the UK I think) and he's had nothing but problems. Gets 45-55mpg on diesel, sure, but constantly getting stranded and needing to replace parts. A shame, really.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts