Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you go up to 175 you open up a big window of great tires,plus better tread coverage and handling up front,,sumoto high performance speed rated for 200 mph delivered off eBay for 36.88 tire,,free shipping,,really nice v tread,after 1000 miles they were showing no mpg hit

·
Registered
640 Posts
Vredestein, the Dutch company, has a good tire some folks on the board are using. It's a LRR tire that seems to last better than the RE92's.

·
Super Moderator
5,078 Posts
DO NOT use a 175. They will kill your performance and mileage.

Sam

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about safety?
If safety improves with 175 tires to me that's a performance improvement and we all know that the car needs little improvements here and there.
I do have 175 tires and I keep them at the recommended psi.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I’m running the Vredesteins on my G1 right now. I am miles away from being a tire critic. But I researched them for months before purchasing them. And I am very pleased with them so far. Good grip, low noise, good all weather performance here in the north west. No MPG hit that I can tell yet though I’m no rabid hyper miler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Popping some popcorn for Tire Debate 2: RE92 Boogaloo. Bound to happen at least every decade or so.

People seem plenty happy with taking Energy Savers or other LRR alternatives and pumping them up as much as they dare. I like your optimism about tire tech and I like the idea of more long-term returns, but from past reading, we don’t yet have a true successor for the tires the car was designed to use.

Nothing meaningfully better suited to snow would compete in sheer MPG. If you’re willing to go balloon mode, you don’t care about comfort in alternatives. So RE92s that you know are relatively new rubber, perhaps the past few years, are your best proven bet.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Nope,,give up 5 mpg for better road coverage and performance any day,,plus they have a better 75000 mile tread life,,double the re 92s and 40 a tire is way cheaper,,sumoto performance ,,had them on 3 insights,,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had 5 year old re92s with unknown mileage (came on the car). I was averaging about... 61 MPG (using app to calculate fillups)

I now have Vredestein Quatrac 4s. I have had them on for about a month now.

My MPG has dropped by ~5-7 so far.

PSI on the RE92s that I used was 45 (would have gone higher but they were an unknown tire and that is not safe)
PSI currently in the Quatracs is 55

Overall, I like the Quatracs. Much better grip, which of course leads to less MPG. I no longer spin in 1st pulling out on damp pavement. I feel much safer in them. There will be a noticeable MPG drop. If I lived in a drier, consistent climate like California, I'd still have kept re92s. I however, live in New Jersey where I get rain and snow on the roads.

Average MPG on RE92s with a 2001 Manual Insight: ~62mpg
Average MPG on Quatrac4 on probably winter gas: ~55mpg

I value safety as this car is a tin (aluminum) can and I do not want to get into any kind of accident. If I still have this car when new tires are needed, I will be going with Vredestein again.

As far as my driving style, I go quick. I want to spend as little time in my car as possible. My commute is long, and I got this car because my WRX cost too much to drive on premium gas. I pass people, overtake on the left (albeit slowly), and in general drive like I normally would.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OP was after MPG, so I was hoping to get a reply with reasons why. If sheer MPG/bragging rights, the known answer is RE92. If for saving money, a more durable and cheap compound could offset MPG costs over the life of multiple sets.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Point taken. She also qualified what she was looking for , with using
60 psi inflation. Don't know how that equates with the analysis, but it's
OK if it opens Pandora's Box. ;)

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
844 Posts
Average MPG on RE92s with a 2001 Manual Insight: ~62mpg
Average MPG on Quatrac4 on probably winter gas: ~55mpg
I think winter temperature and wet / snowy road conditions can make a 5-7 mpg drop by itself. I'd be interested in your mpg in late spring.

·
Registered
319 Posts
After o installed the Vredesteins I did 900miles around eastern Oregon, Northern California ad back up the Oregon coast to Portland in beautiful dry 65 degree ish weather. So- high desert flats and lo alt. Coastal two lanes and highways. No particular attention to economy. 60 to 80 mph. Even took it up to a hundred once just because. Averaged 61 - 62 mpg. At 43 lbs pressure. Now in winter weather around Portland, rain no snow, temps in the 40 s, I get 40 to 50 with little freeway time and poor hyper mailing skills. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My opinion is that what you want is a tire that is flexible, to minimize the heat loss due to hysteresis in the rubber when the tire flexes, and high pressure, so that it doesn't flex very much. If you look at the RE92 specs on the TireRack site, it's obvious that it is not the same as the other RE92s, it's a lightweight tire with a tread pattern that makes it look like an RE92. So I would go for the tire that is the lightest weight in its size, and run it at as high a pressure as you dare. I use the sidewall marking for "as high a pressure as you dare," but that is pretty conservative.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live in Atlanta, GA. Elevation of my commute varies between about 850 ft and 1150 ft.
I care about 1 thing only which is MPG.

With the world climate heating emergency, snow isn't a concern here anymore. Some years we have 0 days of snow. I used to live in Canada and I've driven on snow there in overinflated RE92s and I didn't crash, so I think I'll be okay if it does snow one day.

@Dougie
Are you saying Tire Rack is selling counterfeit RE92s? I've only bought mine from there in the past. I've had 80MPG tanks with tire rack RE92s.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not counterfeit. What I'm saying (and this is just my personal theory) is that when Bridgestone came out with their LRR tire for the Insight, they made the best LRR tire they could. They needed a tread pattern, so they chose a generic M+S pattern from the RE92. They list it with the other RE92s.

Unfortunately, you can't do the direct comparison of sizes any more (I just noticed). A decade ago, there were a dozen or so sizes of the RE92, and the 165/65-14 was an outlier--it was obvious that its 13 pounds of weight were not comparable to the other similar sizes.

It does seem like there should be newer tires (20+ years later) that would be better, but the way I would compare would be by weight and by maximum listed pressure.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,572 Posts
With a UTOG number of 400, it should get excellent miles of use.
RE 92 is 260. IIRR

1 - 20 of 54 Posts