Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (used) '04 Insight showed fairly severe wear on the outer edges of the front tires, which the previous (dope) owner never rotated. The rears looked almost new. Not sure what pressures he ran, but after a rotation I decided to pony up for 4 new Potenzas and start fresh, since they're only $55 buck ea. fromTire Rack. My question is, how long would a properly inflated & regularly rotated set of thes tires last?

AS a funny aside, my other vehicles are an '04 F350 Super Duty diesel, and two older Jeeps, one a very well set up rock crawler. The Insight's components are so small you want to go "awww, aint that cute" when you see 'em. Absolutley brilliant piece of engineering.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Valiant118 said:
<snip>

My question is, how long would a properly inflated & regularly rotated set of thes tires last?
Highly variable. _ONE_ edge _only_ indicates an out of alignment condition. Both edges are abnormal for most tires but *IS* normal for these (something to do with their design). Hard low & mid speed cornering is the most significant wear factor followed by braking and high speed anything. :p

It also depends on how far your willing to push the envelope. As the edge tread wears bald hydroplaning will become more problematic. Hyper milers with highway commutes fair the best. The rest of us will have to live with less. And it looks like for my situation I'll have to be happy with 40K max. :( In my old CRX HF my commute route was optimal and I'd get 120K+ out of a set of Michelin's. :) :) :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I should mention if you have a Costco membership OEM tires are only $60, this includes the delivery, mounting ballancing valve stem warranty blah blah blah, which will be less than tire rack by a good amount once you get them delivered and mounted elsewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks for the tip. i never thought of going to COSTCO, since i knew they didn't stock them as a regular item. will they special order tires? i'll call them.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
They're special order no matter what usually. Check their web site, they have them. Usually they will have them within a week so it takes just about as long as Tire Rack would. Of course the availability sometimes varries widely. One time I had them mounted the next day when they were in stock at the local firestone warehouse and another time it took the full 10 business days for them to arrive. I have only put one set on my Insight, but I use the same tire for my neighborhood electric vehicles too so I'm trying to keep the demand up.

Also, some Costco's have touchless tire mounters and Nitrogen, but not all of them. So it's possibly worth looking in to which ones have this. There are two of them local to me that have this special equipment. One of them is down the street from the Ferrari dealership and all of their tire work goes to that Costco. So I figure if they trust them with Ferrari's the 14's on the Insight shouldn't be too big of a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for tires on the insight? I have a Bridgestone tire that has lasted me 80K. When are tires necessary to change? At what mm? How is this determined? SOrry for all the questions, just wondering that's all.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
TrustN61 said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for tires on the insight?
What are your priorities in a tire?
There are no magic tires that do everything well.
Sort the following characteritcs in order of personal importance:

Lowest mileage tire to save fuel
Summer rain Safety/performance
Comfort (low noise and softer ride)
Snow and ice safety/performace
1 tire for use all year around
Don't mind having different tire for summer and winter seasons
Low Price
Long tread life

TrustN61 said:
"When are tires necessary to change?"
Read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=51

If a tire is older then 4 or 5 years the rubber compound has hardened to a point that it's wet and dry grip is compromised significantly compared to a newer tire. So even if it has lots of tread depth it's not as safe.

Tires are the most important safety item on any car and it's often the most neglected. Most people just don't have a clue :roll:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I ended up geting 4 new Potenzas from Tire RAck @ $55 each and am running them at 42 psi front, 38 rear. Will monitor wear and report later.

The biggest issue with this little gem of a car is that the original owner never did much more than wash it and (thankfully) change the oil. The tires were never rotated, and worse, were obviously run underinflated which is what tore up the outside edges on the fronts.

FWIW, I had the local dealer mount & balance the new tires, plus check the wheel alignment. At 30k+ miles the car was dead on the money alignmnet-wise.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Our originals lasted 70k+ miles and still had some tread left We replaced them because they got way out of balance and it was easier to just replace them than to get them balanced and still have to get new one's after another year. The new fronts began wearing very fast on the outside edges (like others have said). Before long, the fronts were almost bald on the edges so I quickly did a rotation. We'll see how long they last now.

Moral of the story, get your tires rotated. It took me 30 mins with a jack and 4 jackstands to rotate mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
tire research

I just paid 174.00 to have two potenzas put on the car.

I was reading one of the tire posts on this site and the person said that 185/60/r14 do ok and he had been running those and was very happy.

Looking at the tire rack, they show a Kumho Plus 732 in that size for 34.00;

Shipping is 20.00 for two;

the reviews for this tire are fairly good to excellent.

I am gonna try this tire next set. Tired of paying 82.00 a tire plus tax.

·
Registered
71 Posts
tires

what type are you running? the potenzas? That is very excellent mileage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dealership recently checked my tires after 30,000 miles, and it said the wear was exceptionally light. So I expect about 70-80,000 miles on those before they're through.

I inflate my Potenzas to about 45 psi all the way around, have about an even mix of highway/city driving, and rotate them every 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
tire wear

orig. equip is 165/65/r14 bridgestone Potenza RE92 afaik.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
From an MPG / cost savings point I think the've "gotcha". ;)

Its been proven that different tires have a 12% MPG penality. Conservatively lets use 10% for this calculation. Also lets say you "only" get 30k miles with a pair of the OEM tires.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2738

30K @ 70 MPG = 428 gallons consumed

30K @ 63 MPG = 476 Gallons consumed

48 gallon difference x $2.00/gallon (again conservatively) =

96$ additional costs for higher rolling resistance tires.

Cost per mile for the OEM's is cheaper. Factor in the savings by shopping for a better price and your clearly ahead of the game with OEM's.

I'd like to see some other LRR choices. AFAI remember Armin "imported" some euro tires with a minimal MPG hit.

HTH! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts