Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm. This morning I checked my tires when the car seemed sluggish, and i was a few pounds low on the right front tire. (This is judging by the little tire minder--all of yellow ring showing)
Since I was late for a meeting, I just decided to fill the tire on the way home. Temp was about 55F.

On the way home, I decided I didn't want to put air in the tire in a skirt, heels, and hose, so I just drove straight home to change. When I looked at the tire, it was green again! Temp was about 75F.
Would temperature really make that much of a difference? It seems unlikely to me, but I'm still an Insight newbie.

Also, during all this tire scrutiny, i noticed the outer ring of my tread is really worn. Is that a normal function of running our tires at a higher pressure? (40psi for me).
Hmm, indeed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yep, temp makes a difference, just guessing at up to 10 psi in usual conditions. pv=nrt

These tires, assuming you have the Bridgestone re92's, wear on the outside edges more than expected. I replaced the originals when I bought mine with 29k miles, and they were worn out on the outside edges. I have 10k miles on a new set now, at 50 psi, and absolutely no visible wear on any of the tires.

bug_girl said:
On the way home, I decided I didn't want to put air in the tire in a skirt, heels, and hose, .....
I know what you mean....wait, no I don't.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yep deffinitely. I keep mine inflated to 50 psi and out of curiosity one day hot checked it on a hot day and they were all at 65 psi. And in all likely hood they were cold inflated to less than 50 because it had been a while since I had checked at that point in time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, i'm really glad that you moved out of "In Payne", Holicow!
Hope you are feeling better.

There's about 28k on these tires, and since it was a fleet car, I guess they may need replacing. Since we have snow here :evil: :evil:, I will probably want the tread soon.

I want to move back to North Carolina!!!!
:(

Anyone have info on the average lifetime of these tires?
(mine are the Bridgestone Potenzas)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hey bug, thanks.

While probably not nearly as bad as MI, we've had some pretty messy winters the last 2 years. Hopefully just a fluke, cause I hate snow (and ice, and sleet...)

Maybe you should think about some dedicated winter tires. I would not expect the Bridgestones to be too great in snow or ice. Other folks here do this and can pitch in on their experience, choices.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bug_Girl:

___The RE92’s (Potenza’s) on the Insight have a tread wear rating of 260 vs. 160 for every other size RE92 for some reason? With that, they should be good at normal inflation and normal driving habits for around 30 - 40,000. Notice I said normal … If you are shoving/pushing your little beauty into and out of the corners or accelerating and braking it like a sports car, 25,000 or less will more then likely the norm. I currently have 34,000 on mine and have lost just 3/32 of tread from new so at 50 + #’s and very careful driving habits, they should be good for > 100,000 miles. It is all in how gentle you are in driving your Insight is all. Think of everything in the drivetrain from the tires on up to the electronics that have their longevity improved because you are saving fuel by driving gently under any and all conditions vs. most everyone else running stoplight to stoplight being clueless about such habits.

___As for traction in the snow … Here in the Chicagoland area, most of the Interstates are in the process of being plowed as it is snowing so my little beauty never sees much in the way of accumulation. I will take the hypermileage fuel economy and slower speeds during the three or four hours a year I drive her in this accumulation vs. faster speeds and much lower fuel economy throughout the rest of the year.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:119cyhiz][email protected][/email:119cyhiz]

·
Registered
408 Posts
We've had our Insight since 2000 and 60k miles...still the same tires. They've ben rotated a few times but not the reccommended interval. They should be good for at least another 20k. We don't drive hard but I have spun the fronts a few times and try to keep as much momentum as possible around corners - a side effect of driving a MINI and Insight ; )

We've kept the inflation pressure at 38-39.5 front and 35-36.5 rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts