Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
There has been a lot of talk about tires in the past, just search for it and you'll find it no problem. However, I'm getting closer to needing new tires and I've come up with a new option which might be a compromise. I learned of this through a friend who has a production S10 Electric. It origonally came with a very low production LRR Tiger Paw tire which hasn't been available for years. They did a lot of research and found their replacment. The Goodyear Integrity which is a high mileage tire that states "improved fuel economy." When they swapped to this tire on their truck they lost no range so it is at least as good as the Tiger Paw's.

http://tires2.digiknow.com/goodyear/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Integrity&mrktarea=Passenger

There's the page. They don't have a direct oem replacment size, but if you were to go with say a 175/65/14 it would be interesting to see what if any mileage you'd loose. With that size you'd only be off by 2.3% on the odometer. These tires though would not make the amount of road noise that the Potenza's would. I don't believe that anyone has tried these on an Insight yet and I think that they should be at least considered for anyone looking for a replacment tire.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I can confirm this. According to my GPS the speedo is 2 mph fast at highway speeds. I think that there are too many of us who have checked this with many different GPS units to try and deny this.

stickboy3k, Just in case now would be a good time to check your spare tire pressure if you haven't done so recently. They loose air quickly.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok there's a guy on the Yahoo-Hybrid group who says he's running Goodyear Integritites 175/65/14's and he said he got a 5 to 7 mpg mileage hit. Still, I may consider them for replacments when it comes time.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Willie, I didn't even realize you had Integrities on the back of your car otherwise I'd have paid more attention to it on my little test drive, but I was more infactuated by the turbo. Anyways, when you had Integrities all around would you say that they smoothed out the ride and lowered the road noise? I'm starting to think a 5 mpg drop would be worth it, and the Integrity seems to be the compromise between mileage and ride quality.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
While I understand your decision to stick with the Potenza's I might point out one thing to the contrary. The 175 Integrity is actually cheaper than the Potenza. They are $43 on tirerack comparted to$48 for a potenza. Not a whole lot of a difference, but still, you could get them locally for about that I'm sure (plus mounting ballancing etc).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.