Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a lot of people on this forum are at the same cross road. With the Insight retiring, Fit hybrid on the way, Smart Car most likely coming... What do you buy or wait for?

I have a '02 insight CVT with 100K. It still drives fine and it's my daily work horse, so in a year or two I will definitely need to retire it to another member of my family that drives less. My dilemma is I just got a call from the dealer telling me that he has a Red '06 MT coming and he'll sell for sticker price. Given that I currently have a CVT, I definitely have MPG envy of the MT guys. From a MPG perspective, I don't think anything will top the insight MT and it'll definitely be a collectable someday so for those reasons I'm inclined to get it.

BUT, i'm sure there will always be newer, more technically advance cars coming (diesels, fit H, smart car ...etc) so I wouldn't want to be stuck with the insight for another 5 years when there are more exciting "new" cars.
And most likely they'll be cheaper than the insight.

I guess in this gas crunch market, the insight will probably hold its value very well, so I suppose I have nothing to lose to get the Insight for now.

Thoughts???

Bobman

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tough choice. I vote, Buy!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I say you should get it, too! I doubt you'll regret it. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I say "buy".

And I walk-the-talk. I just picked up a red '06 MT two weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It is possible that it could be some time before there is another car that gets as good mileage as the Insight. The trend seems to be towards larger cars (Civic, Prius) or big cars (Accord, Camry) or SUVs, and away from efficiency-at-any-cost models. So if the goal is bragging rights, the Insight might remain the king of the hill for a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I was first looking into buying an Insight what scared me was the nearly 'fanatic' reviews from existing car owners. It seemed a bit much. After owning one for a few months, I understand why! Buy it :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
This fanatic says buy it. (if it hasn't gone already)

Cheaper hybrid?
Honda is designing one right now, and yes they will be cheaper for good reason. That's not to say that they will be unsafe or unpopular. The Civic has become upscale. The new car will be the real Civic in a spiritual sense. It will do battle with the coming Chinese cars.

Fit?
The Fit hybrid has been officially cancelled.

Smart car?
The Insight you are driving goes 0 to 60 in under 11 seconds. The smart does it in twenty. Your Insight has a top speed of 113 MPH the Smart car does 80 MPH. The smart car is as long as your Insight is wide, 'cause you're sitting on the engine! :shock: When you fix the Smart car you'll be paying Mercedes hourly wages! Don't even ask about potholes. :roll:

Diesel?
If there is a significant technological improvement in Engine design it won't be a Diesel....guaranteed, (and it won't be an Otto cycle engine either.) Adding hybrid mode to a Diesel with a turbo and a particulate filter, makes for a very expensive engine.

Plug ins?
They will happen, but figure 10 years or more before we see anything that will hope to pay back the up front cost of the extra batteries.

Aluminum body/carbon fiber?
Will Honda make another aluminum bodied car? Probably, but it won't be a reasonably priced model. Ditto for carbon fiber. Think S3000.

You do know that we wouldn't gang up on you like this if you didn't already own an Insight. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Aluminum body/carbon fiber?
Will Honda make another aluminum bodied car? Probably, but it won't be a reasonably priced model. Ditto for carbon fiber. Think S3000.
Oh my, I'm salivating already. But it better have at least a 9k redline! ;)

All jokes aside, Bobman, looks like you better snap up that baby before someone else does. Heck, if I could have found a brand new MT, I wouldn't have bought a 2001! But no brand new MTs in Northern Cali... or so I was told by numerous dealerships. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow.... I can't belive how strong and unanimous the response is. Of course this is an insight forum. Yeah you don't have to convince me, I know the insight is a great car.... it's more what's coming. Thanks for all your perspective. Just spoke to my wife and I've sold her on it too.

I think I will get it.... We'll see if the dealer comes through. I'll let you all in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i just picked up a red 2000 insight with 107k miles on it monday.
i realy like it and will keep it till i can't get parts to fix it.
very impressed that a car with over 100k runs drives so solid.
i say if you realy need a new one BUY IT.
or if you want to let one of your family enjoy your old one for awhile
like you have BUY IT.
or you could just BUY IT.
LOL
new stereo goes in this weekend.
8)

·
Registered
116 Posts
^ Subtle enough? LOL

Bobman - I envy you. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts