Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 red insight. 90k miles. Great physical condition. Seller asking $2500. Runs great.
The bad:
I plugged in my OBD reader. Two codes. The HV battery is toast (so $1600), but he appeared to be getting about 35MPG even without the IMA working right.
The second code(I can't remember) had to do with fuel system evap leak or something similar.
Gas gauge doesn't work on the dash....which might also be related to the second code.

I reviewed the " G1 Buyer Tips." Based on that, this car is in great shape.

·
Administrator
11,156 Posts
What codes did you actually get?

IMA = Toast isn't necessarily correct however we need more info.

Has it ever been grid charghered or cycled or fiddled with?

90k isn't many miles, and if the actual condition is good then the battery etc should not be a show stopper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, i juts realized that my OBD dongle "Blue Driver" Saves the info! Here are the codes:

JHMZE14762T000896
P1456 EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM LEAKAGE (FUEL TANK SYSTEM)
P1447 Battery Module Deterioration (top reported fix indicated replacing HV battery according to app)

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
P1447 means "help me, before I turn into a P-1449".
Probability that a charge and discharge then charge will give you many many more miles.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Go to my website and read the V2 gridcharger/discharger article. It will explain why the IMA battery needs to be grid charged as a maintenance chore. If you are handy with a soldering iron, reading an electrical schematic etc you can build your own gridcharger/discharger for under $80.

Ask the owner if the battery has ever been changed or gridcharged. If you don't see a short cable laying around the spare tire area after you remove the soft black basket under the trap door at the back of the car under the carpet, the battery hasn't been grid charged.

As others have said that sounds like a good price if the car is in good condition.

·
Registered
48 Posts
EVAP code can be as simple as a loose (or faulty) gas cap. The can and do deteriorate after 20 years. Mine needed to be replaced.

These can be difficult cars to find a buyer for. The price sounds fair, but if you’re a shrewd bargainer and the seller is sick of sitting on it, you may be able to get it for a song.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. It's a young 21 yr old selling it. Only listed for 3 days so far. I've offered 2k. Crossing fingers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm limping along on a "bad" IMA battery that threw a light within a few miles of buying the car. Since then I grid charged, without a deep discharge, and it's thrown a light maybe once every 3 weeks. I just pull the under-dash fuse, and it's good to go again for weeks. If that gets too often, I still have the option of grid charging. If that doesn't work after a while either, I can do a deep-discharge. Bulbs are cheap. Sockets are maybe $1.50 at a hardware store.

35 mpg sounds pretty bad. Must be the CVT?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like a deal to me. If you buy it, definitely try reconditioning the battery before replacing it. A grid charger is waaayyy cheaper than a battery, and a tool you’ll eventually need anyway even if you replace the battery.

The Insight’s NiMH batteries take a lot of flak, but they are surprisingly durable and tolerant of abuse.

Enjoy!

- Park

1 - 11 of 11 Posts