Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very enamored with the Insight since it's inception, from aesthetic, design, and environmental viewpoints. In fact, I'm going to look at a 5-speed in the DC area this Friday. I have to admit though that after reading posts about battery charging issues and replacement costs I'm having second thoughts. My question is to what extent are the charging difficulties representative of the majority of owners and what information exists with regard to longevity and replacement issues of the battery pack? Whatever information anyone else can provide would be very helpful. I don't want to buy this car (it's got about 40K on the clock) and have to deal with battery replacement/management issues right away. The rest of the car appears fairly straightforward in a conventional and maintenance sense-pure Honda.

Thanks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
How much stop-and-go driving do you do? A lot of it will shorten hybrid battery life. If not, my guess is the battery is good for another 100,000 miles. Just make sure the 12-v battery is replaced before it goes dead and gives the hybrid battery trouble.

I think most problems on this forum tend to be nit-picking. Most members would probably say the Insight is more reliable than most vehicles on the road. My Honda mechanic says the Insight is the most reliable Honda.

I think from a reliability standpoint, the Insight is superior.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I second delta. I am among the ones who mostly, if not always, write about bad stuff. I am never writing about the cool stuff.

But not sure about stop/go traffic. It is what I do and I can not say it is bad for the IMA. It makes the car stay at a lower average state of charge. It wears out the pedal covers in a few months (replaced mine before the first year). It makes a car with a lower than average total miles driven (I am at 75k km in 5 years) but it is harder on the transmission and clutch (no problem yet on mine)

What is bad for the IMA battery I think is: hot temperatures and wide state of charge variations. Hilly terrain and desert conditions are not preferable but in hills, you can rev the engine a little more by staying in a lower gear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree that most people write about bad experiences than good. We have these forums available for that purpose. You're going about it in the right way though - getting as much info as possible before making a buying decision.

Most people I talk to ask about battery life expectancy and I simply say it's got an 8 year warranty. I envisioned the cost of replacement battery packs would come down by the time I needed to replace mine. Not sure what they go for now, but once and a while a used battery pack can be had from a wrecked Insight.

Personally I'm at 46K miles, and I've just now had to replace an O2 sensor. I've also had some suspected problems with the EGR valve (not proven yet), and that's about it! If want more info, just PM me. I'm generally happy with this car, it even performs well in winter.

Ron
--
2001 5-spd, 46K miles, Silver

·
Registered
804 Posts
I better explain about the stop-and-go traffic.

I do mostly freeway travel in the Dallas area. Most of the time when recalibrations of the hybrid battery occur it's summertime in a traffic jam. While it does not happen often, that is the usual situation when it does.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You might want to look at the 100K plus thread. I have recalibrations but not sings of a bettery failure at 113K. Most who have put info in the 100K thread include all repair costs. My repair costs have been $0.00 although I did have to take it in for a few hours once to have the headlight recall done. Have fun, Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts