Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 red MT 175K miles (3rd owner), 2002 silver CVT 240K miles (2nd owner)
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a P1165 and a P0420 on my 2000 MT recently, so I ordered the appropriate NTK O2 sensors assuming it would probably fix it. I never replaced the O2 sensors on the car, so it seemed like it was about time anyway. At least it's something I can do myself. No problems replacing the upstream one.

When I torqued the downstream one a little bit to remove the old sensor, the mount for it on the catalytic converter came off with the sensor. After looking around more, it also seems the mount bracket ("stay, exhaust manifold" on the part diagrams) is also gone. The walls of the cat itself seem ok, but I have no idea what the thing looks like inside because I imagine that once it's unbolted it's not going to be able to be re-bolted.
The car's been in upstate NY for years, so it's not a surprise, just a major disappointment.

I know the second sensor isn't essential for engine function, but now I also have a hole in the cat and I should probably do something about that.
I'm looking for opinions on if it would be better to try to coerce the shop I frequent to try to rig up a way to get the sensor in the port and seal it, or to get an aftermarket cat?

It seems most places won't ship an aftermarket unit to NY state, but I'm sure I could find one somewhere. At $1700 I don't think I can swing the OEM one. I'm not seeing any used OEM units on ebay. Based on how rusted it is, if I don't do something with it, it's probably just going to fall off anyway. The lack of ability to mount the OEM heatshield probably isn't a huge deal, since I think the heat shield has been missing since before I acquired the car almost 6 years ago. I imagine this is the original 21+ year old cat based on the degree of rust...

I try not to drive these cars in winter, but I've only had them for a few years so much damage was already done.

where the downstream sensor used to be, and a lot of rust.

Upstream sensor mount is intact, but still a lot of rust. Juxtaposed with the shiny new upstream sensor. Can also see the missing heatshield and mount bracket.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Mine ran fine on just the front cat and honestly it does a really good job of cleaning, the car just has two because of the crazy ultra whatever rating it has, it's still going to be cleaner with the front cat then 90% of cars on the road. If it's the rear cat I'd just remove it and have pipe put in and then run a spacer on the rear 02 sensor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is about the front cat; the 2000 only has two O2 sensors and they're both on the front.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What you are looking for is an oxygen sensor "bung" which might be welded where the old bung used to be if the rust isn't too bad. However, you'll need to call around exhaust and performance shops to find out if they can legally do that repair in NY.

Examples:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To follow up on this, I picked up a CVT cat from someone on IC that was clearly used but had the heat shields and such intact. Had the shop I usually go to install it (I don't have a great history of success with removing stuck bolts) and so yes the CVT primary catalytic converter fits the MT just fine.

Of course when I was driving it back I noticed a strong gasoline smell, and saw when I got back that yup it's leaking from the silly bracket by the firewall that has given other people trouble.

I'd really like to get an Insight that has spent less time in rust country eventually!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts