Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am the second owner of a 2000 manual. the car had about 52 LMPG when i bought it at around 45000 miles. i have raised it to 54 or so LMPG and am now at 58000. My tank average has averaged 62 mpg since i have had it.
The IMA system died and has just been replaced.
I want to write down the current mileage and LMPG and reset it so that i can know wheat kind of performance i get out of it.
what are the negatives to this?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
There are no negatives to resetting it that I see.

Personally though, I like to leave the LMPG alone. That way it reflects the car's LMPG, not just the current owner's LMPG. I think the next owner might be more interested in the car's overall LMPG. On a similar note, the next owner wants to know the overall miles on the car, not just the miles you drove, right?

If you chose to leave the LMPG alone, you can keep track of your mpg on a spreadsheet. (Still write down the previous owner's LMPG for reference.)

On my car, the gauge is just a touch optomistic anyway, so I like to calculate the tanks.

Since I am doing better mpg-wise than the previous owner, it has been fun to see the LMPG gauge slowly creep up. It still has not reached my LMPG, but that's o.k. I know my LMPG by checking my spreadsheet.

My LMPG - 67.5
The car's lifetime LMPG is 65.0

·
Registered
184 Posts
FWIW I agree with James, as it is MY driving that I'd like to see the car's lmpg reflect. Just write down the mileage and lmpg before you reset it, and you can always calculate the car's overall lmpg in the future. The previous owner got only an lmpg 57.0 (17,000miles), whereas I now have about 7000 miles with my own lmpg at 74.2. Wish I had done the reset the instant I bought the car. JoeS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought my 2000 Insight used in June of 2001. At that time it had 4488 miles on it with a lmpg somewere in the low 40s. I am the 5th owner of it (the original buyer, three dealers , then me). I didn't reset the Lmpg because I feel the lmpg is the "CARS" lmpg. I keep track of "MY" lmpg on trip B. I reset trip B about 6000 miles after I got the car and have not reset it since, it now shows 80.1 mpg after about 78000. I use trip A for shorter trips but have not reset it in over two years and it shows 83.8 after about 34000 miles. The cars lmpg that includes myself, my wife, the original owner, and who knows how many wild and crazy lot boys is now at 76.6 mpg after 87000 miles. If you bought a used car and your driving habits are different then the previous drivers, the cars lmpg will never be the same as yours.

I think because the car has three easy to reset trip recorders and one hard to reset trip recorder that Honda designed the lmpg recorder to reflect the lmpg of the car, but also gave you the option of changing it if you wanted.....Louis

·
Registered
147 Posts
I too reset mine. it was an 01 with 89k miles 52lmpg. I reset and am WELL above that, and sitting at 98k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts