Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I got another one for you. Should I sell my insight or put it into storage for 2 years? I'm moving to Canada and have no need for a vehicle where i will be living. I can either sell my beloved car (which i've put a lot of time and money into customizing) or put it into storage for 2 years. It took me almost a month to find an Insight, and I had to fly to Seattle to get it. I really love this car, and don't want to sell it, but my wife is pressuring me by saying "you can buy another one in two years" and "it will lose its value by sitting in storage" Where does everyone see the automobile situation in two years? will we still be stuck with civic hybrids (boring) and Prius' (even more boring)? I don't want to go through the trouble of buying another Insight when i have a perfectly good one now! :( Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, in the Insight news forum there are a couple of threads discussing Honda's decision to discontine production of the Insight.

I would garage it so you dont have to look for a used one later.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Someone out there is probably praying that you do sell it. :roll:

I wouldn't for the reason mentioned. Furthermore, you generally loose buying and repurchasing even with a regular car.

I'm sure your wife is making this suggestion in an effort to show fiscal restraint in troubled times, but you could point out to her that the price of used Insights has been going up and this trend is likely to accellerate if Honda cuts off supply.

Upside possibility: Your investment pays big time. :D

Downside possibility: You're "stuck" with a car that gets world leading fuel efficiency and won't rust. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
i'd make sure you figure out what's going to happen to the battery if it just sits for 2 years... coming back to a dead battery might be reason enough to sell since the cost to repair it may outweigh the cost of the car itself.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I read that the Nmh batteries don't suffer from sitting discharged.

My car sat on the boat and in the dealership for a long time. The battery was dead. No problem.

Other batteries such as lead acid have major issues. You will need a new 12 volt battery.

This is an excellent question. Perhaps one of the EV experts can answer definitively.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good points everyone... I really think I need a convincing argument, and the "discontinuation" one really helps. Any news on new hybrids in the next couple years?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Honda will be producing a new hybrid. It will be cheaper than the Civic! It seems that Honda has decided that the new Prius ( with plug in option) will be hard to take on from a mileage angle. The Toyota system is inherently costly due to its large electric motors and higher voltage batteries. Honda sees future opportunity for a hybrid for the common man. Don't expect ABS, climate control, aluminum body or some of the other goodies that the Insight has. Expect a practical, inexpensive, solid, small car with super mileage.

The way Honda is talking, you can be sure they are already test driving prototypes. :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
I put a 2000 Insight into "flyable" storage for 2 1/2 years.
A friend started & exercised it occasionaly during that time.
The only downside was that the 12v battery would require jump starting after about two or three weeks... I never figured out why, but I suspect it was the Blaupunkt radio draging it down.

Here are a few threads that you need to read.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1102&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152&highlight=

Bottom line is...keep the car if it has been trouble free so far,it will only become harder to replace as the years go by. It has collectable written all over it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would store it. If they do discontinue it, you can, worse case scenario, get even more $$ for it in 2+ years. Collectors item, baby! :D If you do store it, would your battery still be under the warranty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts