Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My beloved 2000 Honda Insight needs a new transmission (manual). I have put a lot of love and time into this car but finally moved to a Honda Clarity. Other than the transmission, there really isn't anything majorly wrong with it. Would I get more parting it out or selling it whole? I hate to see my baby get pulled to pieces.

SPECS:
2000 Honda Insight, Silver
  • Manual Transmission (going bad... getting hard to shift)
  • Just passed smog
  • ~302,379 miles
  • Bumblebee battery replacement at roughly 280,000 (so it has roughly 22,000 miles on it)
  • Aftermarket Grid charger
  • Tires are mid-life
  • Aftermarket middle armrest
  • Aftermarket halogen headlamps
  • Aftermarket interior blue lights
  • Aftermarket radio with CD and BlueTooth
  • Aftermarket speakers (two in-door and two behind the seats)
  • No accidents (house-trained)
  • I am the second owner, but I bought it at 36,000 miles
  • 95% of the miles are freeway
  • Lifetime economy is 59.4 mpg
  • I have all records and everything was done at the dealer (with the exception of the grid charger install, which was done by Jeff in San Jose).
NOTE: The Maintenance Required light is permanently on.

This is a link to my shared photo album for my 2000 Honda Insight.

If I sell her as a complete package, I am hoping for $1,800.

Thanks for reading and continue the good fight!!!
Roy

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
"going bad... getting hard to shift" could be something as simple as a master or slave cylinder.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
NOTE: The Maintenance Required light is permanently on.
That is a problem of no consequences. That light lights every 7500 miles iirc to remind you to change the engine oil. The reset usually fails because the push buttons on the dash are bad. They can be replaced, or you can put a piece of black tape over the light and keep a manual record of your oil changes;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Save it!

In my opinion it would be a shame to part it out. My 2001 with 385K mi is running great and gets me to work every day smooth as you please. Too many of these cars are getting wrecked or trashed and being parted out. This one sounds solid, with a lot going for it, even if it needs a transmission, in which case the next owner will drive it to 600K+. Someone will treasure and preserve this car. And Jim is right, it may be a simple fix. Scott?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts