Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a water pump for my 2002 purchased1 one month ago for 3500 (which also needs a battery pack replacement) from RockAuto for 75.00. Found a mechanic here in Phoenix who told me he would install the pump for 150.00. Picked the car today, the bill was 1222.00. Guess I will be holding off on the battery pack.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Wow! Guy must have spent hours experimenting. There must be a better Insight mechanic somewhere in Phoenix. S Keith does battery work and maybe some light IMA work, but don't think he does mechanical work. He might know a GOOD local.

But, really this is the reason that most current owners do their own work. Few qualified mechanics for Insights around. You can buy the darn car paying folks to fix it;)

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Purchased a water pump for my 2002 purchased1 one month ago for 3500 (which also needs a battery pack replacement) from RockAuto for 75.00. Found a mechanic here in Phoenix who told me he would install the pump for 150.00. Picked the car today, the bill was 1222.00. Guess I will be holding off on the battery pack.
yea, I'd refuse to pay that. Insist that he follows shop rate, you're being screwed.

·
Super Moderator
1,543 Posts
That can’t be the whole story. How about you elaborate.

I can see where the labor price to do the water pump is that price.

Then you get in there and you needed a belt, an idler bearing, coolant, thermostat, possibly a radiator, possibly it had a leak at the water housing on the end of the head.

If it was only a water pump for 1222.00, you could have driven here to CA and had me do the job, stayed in a hotel, ate out, bought gas both ways and it still would have been less.

Scott

·
Registered
447 Posts
That can’t be the whole story. How about you elaborate.

I can see where the labor price to do the water pump is that price.

Then you get in there and you needed a belt, an idler bearing, coolant, thermostat, possibly a radiator, possibly it had a leak at the water housing on the end of the head.

If it was only a water pump for 1222.00, you could have driven here to CA and had me do the job, stayed in a hotel, ate out, bought gas both ways and it still would have been less.

Scott
I like the combo of a visit to SoCal and honest professional work. FWIW I had the radiator replaced in my car shortly after I bought it. The radiator, radiator cap, Honda complete coolant refill and thermostat cost me $634. IIRC there is no plastic in this radiator. I'm too lazy to run out and check.

I'm with Scott, I hope there is more to this story than what you have written.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Purchased a water pump from RockAuto for 75.00. Found a mechanic here in Phoenix who told me he would install the pump for 150.00.
Most shops don't want their customers bringing their own parts. The can charge a markup when they source the parts. That's like buying a steak at the supermarket and bringing to a restaurant and asking them to cook it. If he said he would install it for 150, why didn't he? Maybe contact consumer affairs in your jurisdiction. Many places require a written estimate be provided that can't be exceeded by more than 10% or so.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
One post from someone with just a handful of posts, who doesn't respond, with an unbelievable anecdote... Either he's a gullible idiot or a troller. There's not a shop anywhere that multiplies an original estimate by a factor of eight without calling the customer first for approval prior to doing the work. Something stinks here... I'm not buying this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
im a little late to the party BUT i am also here in phoenix and would be glad to do future maintenance on OPs car, feel free to shoot me a message on here anytime.

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Without the OP showing a copy of the bill, this thread is hard to believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts