Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The upcoming indoor car show mandates (fire dept code) only 1/8 tank or less be shown on the gauge. Problem: my tank is full, and the show starts later this week.

I fed a long, clear, thin tube down the fuel filler, trying to siphon gas out. Over 3 feet went in, but then hit a dead-end. I think there is a one-way flapper to prevent this.

Any suggestions? All I can think of is to drive about 800 miles in the next couple of days. But I work all day, and can't get away...................

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
gas

Billy, you have a pressure release valve on the fuel line going to the injectors. It looks like a reguler tire valve on a car. Remove the inner part (stem) and install a rubber line to the fitting. Run the other end of the line into a container. With the ign. switch in the on, not start position, you will be able to drain the tank down to what ever level you want. You might drain the 12V battery, I don't know the amp draw of the fuel pump.
Got a battery charger.?

Willie

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IMO the easiest way is to solicit the fuel pump's help. ;)

AFAI remember you've got the factory SM :?: If so p.g. 11-2, item #5 shows the "special tool" fuel pressure gauge. Hopefully you can solicit a local area dealers help. You'll need to remove the gauge from its hose, add additional hose (stock roll fuel line 3/8 :?: ) and probably a _slight_ restrictor. Find the appropriate size of smaller hose to fit inside for an inch or two (1/8 vac hose :?: ) to hold sufficient pressure back in the fuel rail, allowing idle. The excess "pressure" can then be pumped into appropriate containers. Idle is necessary since the pump will only run for a few seconds on each key cycle without it.

There are several "universal" fuel pressure gauge "systems" that may also provide the necessary plumbing hardware (special threaded fittings). If you have a good relationship with a mom & pop shop maybe check there first.

Of course all the appropriate precautions need to be taken when "playing" with a volatile and flammable liquid.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
gas

OOPS, I suggested wrong. The Insight does not have a relief valve. John is right. (Had a senior moment) Was thinking about my "turbo buggy".

You might try and disconnect the return line going to the gas tank from the fuel regulator and drain it that way. I think.

Willie
Another "brain storm". Pick up a fuel line "T" fitting. Install in the pressure line to the fuel rail. Install another line (with restrictor) from the "t" fitting to a gas can. Run the engine at idle and fill the gas can.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John and Willie, I will try as you suggest. Gee, how will running the engine at idle affect my LMPG? We know the answer to that..........oh well...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
It will be be BAD for MPG :p ;) AND even WORSE for the calculated pump MPG since during the operation your removing fuel in addition to consuming it @ idle :!: :p

But it is for a good cause. :D

Save the off-loaded fuel and add it back ASAP then (some of ) the difference in the MPG display and the next refuel pump calculated average can be attributed to idle consumption. In any case a better environmental alernative vs. an 800 mile trip to "burn-off" the undesired fuel.

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
gas?

Did you get the proper amount of gas removed, if so how was it finally done?

(Inquiring minds want to know)

See you Saturday......................I hope.
Willie

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for inquiring minds........yeah, I got the job done. I removed a fuel line from the fuel injection rail, ran the fuel pump, and just drained about a gallon. Then I went out and drove 250 miles around a 17-mile freeway loop. I averaged 97 MPG on the loop, so it was very good! Now I have just enough in the tank, to show about 1/8th after arrival in Seattle. (a 4 hour drive today).

Yeah, hope to see you Willie. Please call my cell # when you get close. I may have an extra pass to get you in free........

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
too much gas

On my recent return trip from the car show, I had the misfortune to get in the "blizzard" on I-5 through the Shasta lake area. Shortly after installing snow chains and getting in line, the FREEWAY was shut down. Temperature in the low 30 degrees. High wind and snow. This was at 10AM Sunday. The freeway was reopened at 4AM on Monday. Chains still required. I used the heater in the car to stay warm during the time I was stranded. The radiator coolant temperature never got above 136 degrees. (Verified by the OBD tool) and only 4 bars showed on the dash gauge.
In 18 hours, using the heater app. 1/3 the time, (20 min. on 40 off) my "trip mileage" fell from 61.8 to 56.4 mpg. with 1955.2 miles showing on the trip meter. (Hard way to drain gas).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts